Chat/Messaging

1. Delete whisper messages

I think it would be good if you can delete your whisper messages.

80 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

16 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. IP Ban from channel

IP Ban makes it possible to permanently ban a user with the same IP Address, thus not allowing them to crate other account to try and troll/spam, etc.

73 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous responded

This poses a couple of hard problems. We’ll look for feedback on these points in comments before declining.

1) IPs change. A lot. A broadcaster might lose a significant portion of their audience, and viewers might get confused if there are a lot of banned IPs (such as universities).

2) System load. Looking up a enormous list of IPs to see who is allowed to watch on every single video play is an enormous system load I’m not sure we’re willing to take on.

3) Support costs. “Why can’t I watch X/Y/Z, I don’t know who they are” would come up. Our support isn’t free, and we’d like to be able to focus on issues like passwords, bugs, etc.

3. Limiting participation in chat based on account creation date

To help reduce the blatant and increasing violations of the harassment policy on Twitch, you should implement a new feature that allows a channel to prevent users from participating in their chat if the account is under a certain age, which could be specified specified by the channel.

Currently, it's easy for a user to create temporary email and Twitch accounts and harass a live streaming account under the guise of anonymity. This would add a much needed barrier to entry without requiring a user to follow or subscribe to be apart of a channel. The code currently exists for…

54 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. IP Ban Option for Streamers

Streamers should be allowed to IP ban a user from their channel. This will prevent people from making Multiple accounts just to troll and harass people. I know about the Verify email to speak option but that isn't stopping people. /ipban Usuername

40 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. View twitch chat in VODS

Hello, I believe a better suggestion would be for viewers to be able to see the twitch chat while watching vods.

I belive what makes twitch, twitch, and not something like youtube, is be able to see and participate in chat.

37 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In Review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Include a timer on the dashboard to show how long a host has been active

Pretty self explanatory - on the dashboard for a user, where it displays "Currently hosting X", include a timer for how long the current host has been on. Apart from helping to not exceed the limit of three hosts per half hour, it would be useful for me to know how long a channel has been hosted, to determine whether or not to choose a new channel to host. Thanks!

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Apply the longest duration timeout rather than overriding the previous.

It is a common occurrence for moderators to judge transgressions differently from each other, or from the broadcaster, and apply different timeout lengths. I feel moderators could benefit from having the timeout duration for the specified user not overridden by subsequent timeouts, but rather have a notice given to the mods specifying the remaining timeout for that person.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Spoiler tagging

I would love to see a way to conceal spoilers in the chat. That way mods don't have to struggle as hard to police them in blind streams, and chatters aren't as limited on what they talk about when in a stream with a blind streamer.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Give channels the ability to ban all recently created accounts from chatting in their channel

This is similar to the idea of banning abusive troll users at a certain IP address, https://twitch.uservoice.com/forums/310201-chat-messaging/suggestions/7956255-ip-ban-from-channel.

In that request, a Twitch dev gave the following reasons for why such a ban would be hard to implement:

> 1. IPs change. A lot. A broadcaster might lose a significant portion of their audience, and viewers might get confused if there are a lot of banned IPs (such as universities).
    >
    > 2. System load. Looking up a enormous list of IPs to see who is allowed to watch on every single video play is an enormous system load I’m…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Disable whispers from chat-banned users

I frequent a twitch channel that has been harassed by a troll persistently for the past 2-3 months. This troll has been evading chat bans by creating multiple accounts.

Recently, when the troll is banned from the chat, he's begun to use the tactic of whispering to other people in the chat room in order to harass them...some of these viewers are even foolish enough to pass on insults from the troll to the broadcaster.

The channel regulars know better than to respond to this troll, and ignore him, but the fact that the troll can still whisper other viewers…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to disable chat on iOS.

Chat causes lag on my old iPad, did not have this problem in old version of twitch app. Please give the option to turn off chat not just minimise it.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fix "Opt out of globally banned words filter"

There is a checkbox in "Channel & Videos" tab of your channel settings, called "Opt out of globally banned words filter".

I had it enabled since I started streaming a month ago. And today I discovered, that it does not work - some words, like "tranny" for example, are still replaces with asterisks to everyone else in chat. I was disappointed.

I despise any form of censorship. When I come to other streams and I see their chat rules "Be nice, no spam..." - I respect the rules. Its their choice. Why can't Twitch respect my own choice to treat…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a notification sound for new messages in chat that plays when you are tabbed out.

Add ability to turn on a notification sound for new messages in channels you are in, but you are tabbed out. It could be set to: notify about every message, notify about friend message, do not notify about new messages. The sound could be a simple *BLIP* sound.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Require new users to verify their accounts with a phone number (anti-troll)

This is another anti-troll feature to combat trolls who evade chat bans by just creating new accounts. Whenever new users sign up for an account, they have to verify their account with a phone number, much like how Gmail and Hotmail verify new accounts. Each phone number can only be used to verify an address X times per year (for example, 3 per year).

This will make it harder for trolls to constantly create new accounts to evade chat bans. You can even give broadcasters the option of preventing people who haven't verified their accounts with a phone number from…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Give an option to remove "deleted messages" from view entirely.

You are currently capable of reviewing those deleted messages but most people are not interested in that and at least in my small audience i heard that they would love to have an option removing those "message deleted" messages entirely.
    Make it default perhaps?
    Mods and people that actually care about that (for honesty ... what reason...?) can turn it on in the settings.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Visible chat/whispers character limit

It would be very helpful to have the current hidden character limit shown just like on twitter or similar websites, and not be able to send the messages when they are too long, instead of giving us the illusion to have sent them successfully when it is not actually the case. Both in chat and whispers.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. DM character limit

Twitch has imposed a 4,000 character limit for DMs. It would be extremely helpful if there was a counter with the composition window that showed a user how many remaining characters may be typed in a message before that limit is reached.

I learned of this limit the hard way; one time I clicked 'Send' on a message, only to get a screen with a red box across the top of it informing me my message had exceeded the character limit and my message hadn't been sent. Unfortunately, the text of that message was lost too.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please provide more accessibility options.

I have problems with my vision, so reading chat is often pretty rough for me. In the past, I have been able to get around this by utilizing the vast chat appearance options available in FFZ, but Twitch's new chat has severely limited these options. Please either let the old FFZ back into the current chat or implement your own appearance options, but something really has to be done here.

If some of these options are available, then I apologize, but they are not apparent how to access them.

Thanks so much!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Emote Shop

Users will be able to purchase emotes in an "Emote Shop". Streamers can choose how much to charge for each of their emotes. The user can purchase emotes from various streamers and will be charged monthly for a one lump sum per month, 3 months, 6 months, or unlimited time price. This will encourage revenue for streamers from people that don't want to pay the full subscription price. This will also make people want to collect emotes from different streamers. Perhaps a trophy system of some sort could be included with this system to encourage people to buy more emotes…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base