Chat/Messaging

How can we improve Twitch chat (including Whispers) and Private Messaging?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Limiting participation in chat based on account creation date

To help reduce the blatant and increasing violations of the harassment policy on Twitch, you should implement a new feature that allows a channel to prevent users from participating in their chat if the account is under a certain age, which could be specified specified by the channel.

Currently, it's easy for a user to create temporary email and Twitch accounts and harass a live streaming account under the guise of anonymity. This would add a much needed barrier to entry without requiring a user to follow or subscribe to be apart of a channel. The code currently exists for…

49 votes
    Sign in Sign in with OpenID Connect
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Verified Game Dev Badge

It would be nice if companies could add verified dev twitch accounts associated with their games, and if the dev's were in chats of streams playing those games they could get a special game dev badge in chat to show that.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add chat moderation tools to mitigate serial ban evaders

Sometimes the chat experience is impaired by trolls continually and relentlessly creating/using additional alternative accounts to repeatedly circumvent any ban, return to chat, and continue spamming or harassing the channel.

I suggest that Twitch provide an additional set of moderation commands, capabilities, and information in the chat-related APIs and IRC interfaces to assist broadcasters and their channel bots to control abuse in these types of situations.

Some ideas for suggested channel Moderator Commands/Options to Add:

* "Approved" chatters list - A List/Hash table of unlimited size for any users manually approved by a moderator to chat plus a list of…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please implement an option to get rid of chat refresh when scrolling through chat.

Please implement an option to get rid of chat refresh when scrolling through chat. There are times when a link is posted by the streamer, or someone says something interesting that I cannot read and would like to, but chat refreshes every time a new comment is posted. Especially in chats with thousands of people.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Users should be able to scroll through the whole chat from a full broadcast.

When we're watching a broadcast, I think it would be a good idea for the whole chat log to be scrollable and not just snippets cut off like every 5 minutes.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. DURBAN SENIOR PHARMACY +27835179056 MORE Advanced@#$ abortion clinic in stanger inanda kwamashu overport Cleland clarendon bellevve

DURBAN SENIOR PHARMACY +27835179056 MORE Advanced@#$ abortion clinic in stanger inanda kwamashu overport Cleland clarendon bellevve

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Chat Notes/Pinned messages

I think it would be a great idea if the streamer or moderators could put a message/note above the chat to notify people. Whether it's temporarily for a minute or left there for the whole day.

Especially with bigger streamers who have a chaotic chat. A note or announcement can quickly be pinned at the top and everyone can quickly click on it and/or read it (a little pin symbol would be fitting I suppose).

Additionally, it can get annoying for streamers to have to answer the same questions over and over again. That's why I think a little note…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. This new feature with entire users chat history is a bit much.

I totally get the reasoning but lets be honest a lot of the humor on twitch is cheeky straddling the line of offensive. Without the context of that channels convo at the time it totally misrepresents the jokes being made when viewed in that history manor. If you dont understand this view then you dont understand comedy and comedy is a massive part of the twitch community. This feature is misrepresenting every ones statements making them seem harsher then they actually are. The art of comedy is to getting people to laugh at things they never thought would be funny…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. use notice for bots or for all users

use notice for bots or for all users, it would not be bad, because sometimes people triggers a bot and thereby flood the chat, adding standard functionality IRC would fix this problem, and it would add to bots more opportunities to notify users of something without showing the rest any messages

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. loosen up a little

I'm objecting to the "No Complaining" rule on the Rifftrax chat. What's that about? It's a form of free speech; as long as nobody's promoting dangerous and/or illegal behavior, what's wrong with a little griping? It's a good way to relieve stress.
    Also, could some of the moderators ease up a bit? Honestly, you'd think they'd never heard of sarcasm before.
    I don't mind having rules, it keeps out trolls and other bad types, but come on....

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to disable chat on iOS.

Chat causes lag on my old iPad, did not have this problem in old version of twitch app. Please give the option to turn off chat not just minimise it.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Recent chat history

As a few channels moderator, if i need to refresh the page i'll loose all the chat messages. It would be great to reload lastest messages at least for mods and channels owners after refreshing

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. closed room with access to invite

closed room with access to invite, there are already rooms for subscribers, and moderators, but I want to be able to make a channel, or several, closed ones, and invite people there, by invites
    PS for example for games like mafia where every group has its own channels, for communication at night

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Temporarly disable follower only chat mode during raids.

It would be nice to have an option to temporarily disable follower only chat mode during a raid from another channel, with an option to set how many minutes follower only would be disabled. Or have twitch chat recognize who came over from the raid, and allow them to chat despite follower only mode being active.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Check user message history

In streams where there can be as many as 10,000 people in one channel, chat at times can be difficult to moderate with so many messages being sent and keep track of user's behaviour. It would be helpful if mods or the streamer could click on a specific username in chat and see their message history. At times it may not be just for one message that may be ban worthy, but just for their attitude i.e. XxReApErxX has only ever chatted to comment on the streamer's bad gameplay. While one message may not be ban-worthy, if this was all…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. GIVE US BACK CURSE

I do not l ike being forced to join.. I hate twitch and its invasive these bastards gave me the name of my toon

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Place chat window below video.

It would be helpful for using Twitch in a portrait mode to allow chat to occupy the bottom of the screen. Often while using Twitch I like to snap the window to half of the display, and use the other half for other tasks.

Right now I have to pop-out the chat, which is a little clunky.

In addition, it would be handy if the divide between the video and the chat was resizeable, so I could make chat bigger or smaller, and have the video automatically resize.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a notification sound for new messages in chat that plays when you are tabbed out.

Add ability to turn on a notification sound for new messages in channels you are in, but you are tabbed out. It could be set to: notify about every message, notify about friend message, do not notify about new messages. The sound could be a simple *BLIP* sound.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Spoiler tagging

I would love to see a way to conceal spoilers in the chat. That way mods don't have to struggle as hard to police them in blind streams, and chatters aren't as limited on what they talk about when in a stream with a blind streamer.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. An official "Regulars" status in stream chats

We have many statuses in a chat, Regular Viewer; Moderator; Global Moderator; Broadcaster; Admin and Staff.

A level between Viewer and Moderator would be nice to have without a bot to do so, known as "Regulars".

Regular status would ideally be given to those who frequent your stream. If you have a Moderation bot, the moderation bot could ignore if a Regular would spam a lot of emotes yet not trusted to have full moderation powers.

Regular status would come with a chat badge, being a smiley face. The streamer can individually turn the badge on or off in their…

134 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for the feedback!

Would this be primarily for 3rd party applications/bots?

What features would you like to be seen built around this? Let us know in the comments!

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Chat/Messaging

Feedback and Knowledge Base