Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Chat

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Chat

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

687 results found

1. So, I, as a mod have the option to pin every message in the chat.
    The pin button is right next to the reply button, and I've found myself accidentally misclicking the pin button instead of the reply button.
    In my opinion, it should be harder to pin messages and you shouldn't be able to accidentally pin a message, if you wanted to reply to it.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Chat  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The current limit for a /timeout is set to 2 weeks, it would be nice if this could be increased to a 3 week or month limit, this allows you to truly filter out some people while still easily giving them a chance to re-appear but not needing to straight up ban and adding a mod-comment to the userprofile. Not to mention bans tend to be forgotten if the user doesn't send in an unban-request.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Twitch staff here. A streamer mentioned they'd love if there would be an option to have whispers from their Mods to appear in their chat and be highlighted. The streamer mentioned they use pop-out chat and primarily uses the chat of engagement, and this would help them keep the flow of their stream without having to pause and click through the Whispers window to see specific messages.

In addition, maybe add an option for everyone to toggle having whispers mirrored to a chat if they are watching a stream with the @USERNAME and a notice it is a whisper. Just…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. A separate mod chat (that could be accessed with a command or maybe a panel in mod view/creator dashboard) would be a nice way to quickly communicate with the streamer and other moderators without having to switch to another platform.

Might also be nice to show it in normal chat for mods/streamers with an indicator it's a mod chat message (for people on mobile and stuff)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. In the stream I mod, we are using the chat restriction feature to prevent trolls from spamming messages. In some case where we see the troll is spamming even if they are in chat restriction mode, we take further action to permanently ban. But since chat history of chat-restricted user appears not being logged, other mods / streamer cannot see the context of ban.

Can we make the chat history of chat-restricted users logged? I'm pretty sure there will be many other scenarios the chat log is going to be helpful for moderating the chat.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. We are experimenting with a new feature that allows new viewers in a channel to introduce themselves via a simple prompt. Messages sent through this feature will be highlighted to the rest of Chat with an invitation to welcome the user via chat reply or @mention. This feature is in a limited release, and we will monitor feedback before deciding whether to make it more widely available.

Channels are enrolled in the experiment automatically and randomly, and creators can toggle the feature on and off in their Moderation settings under Chat Options: https://dashboard.twitch.tv/settings/moderation

We'd love to hear your thoughts and…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Having any more than a couple emotes causes my chat box to lag horribly with the new chat options. It would be nice to have a toggle in the options somewhere to turn off having embedded pictures in the chat box.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. A recent update (this week?) added a pink notification circle to the "Chat Highlight Settings".

Since that button does not appear on other channels than your own, the notification circle is instead added to "Chat Settings", which does not make any sense since there is nothing new under there.

So any user who does not stream will have to know to go onto their own channel in order to dismiss the notification circle.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. A lot of times if someone raids in and a lot of chat activity goes on during stream, it is hard for the broadcaster to read or see the person who raided in their chat messages. My idea is to spotlight the raider if they are being shouted out with the "/shoutout" command for a minute or so.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shoutout  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hi,

Blocked users messages still pop in chat but hidden behind click, however it may be due to me being moderator. If I choose to not wanting to see them, what do I do?

The "click here to show the message" is even more eye catching than the normal messages, so it doesnt really work for me.

If a user blocks a moderator, can they still see the messages I wonder?

Either way, I would prefer the messages to not show up at all, me being mod or not. Personal reasons.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. At the moment, only the default "/announce" chat command works with IRC (chatbots etc) - "/announceblue", "/announcegreen", "/announceorange", and "/announcepurple" all fail to send messages.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Brief description

I just tried to /shoutout a streamer with a Korean display name. I used "/shoutout juliday97" in the chat window, and viewers got an unusable link, both for going to the channel and for following.

How to reproduce

Use /shoutout with any streamer whose display name is just a different capitalization of their user name.

Expected behavior

I would have expected working links. :P

~~

From a mispost in the developer issue tracker https://github.com/twitchdev/issues/issues/683

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shoutout  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We have one for those who have audio off, one for those who have video off... But what about the lurkers? Some people might be sleeping (or preparing to) and still watch through it. Other people might be unable to chat, but be watching and listening.

Also add a quick way to set them on/off similar to how we can change the sub badge and the like.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I was recently chatting with some other streamers and we agreed that this would be great.

When streaming, the streamer will often have the Chat popped out in their browser. But there's no way to know if a new Whisper came in. There's no way, through Twitch, to find out if someone is trying to reach you privately. And in a busy Chat, even if they try to reach you publicly, you can miss it.

It would be great if the little Whispers icon were at the top or bottom of the popped out chat, and if it could have…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. The "Returning Chatter" feature highlights the chat for people who have typed in chat at least twice in the last 30 days, this is a good feature but at the moment it appears to highlight all of their messages, could we get it so it only highlights their first message that stream?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. So far, the chat "delay" value is only readable from the API by the broadcaster.
    I think that misses the point of having this value accessible.

To me, the point of this value is to be able to honnor the delay for chat client developpers (chatty, chatterino, ...)
    But that fact that it's only accessible by the broadcaster makes it quite useless. The only point I see in its current state is the abaility to display it at some point.

In an ideal world this delay would simply be handled server-side instead of client-side as it is right now, but…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The sending of spam messages via whisper has become a serious problem on Twitch in Portuguese, in view of this, I suggest the creation of a filter that retains suspicious spam messages in some other box.

Generally the messages follow the same writing pattern with spammers asking for a donation of money to their bank accounts under the guise of experiencing financial hardship, so I believe a simple AI should be able to retain most of the unwanted messages.

An option to block specific terms in the spam filter would also be welcome.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. my brilliant idea is to show chatters total unique viewers and total followers upon clicking their name in chat. Who could have decided this should go away ? There is only net positive to it. It's a sense of achievement for those that have ever tried and plan on trying to grow on the platform, and a permanent set of stats that makes ea person unique. Its discoverability, its reward, its unique, noone wanted the feature gone.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Card  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I have been on twitch since 2012. I have supported this platform and its creators for a whole DECADE, I feel its right to give anyone who has been on twitch for TEN years a special chat badge.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The ability to hide the Mod Badge/ Sword from view.

This is especially important for communities that are on the smaller side where new viewers may be intimidated by the amount of mods with their badge chatting.

It also allows certain moderators to mod anonymously.

107 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?