Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Chat

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Chat

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

985 results found

1. In a busy stream the chat is completely useless. It is just a wall of emotes.
    It would be nice if the chat was mainly texts while emotes could be (optionally) stacked in the video view lower corner. So when something funny happens and people start sending emotes it would be a cool thing to have stacks at the bottom piling up.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Stream Chat  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. We can follow Twitch channels in which we don't wanna use the chat at all for more passive style (ie: big live events) and others in which the chat is a core part of our experience (ie: small streamers with a tight-knit community).

The current behavior is for the chat to remember the last status between hidden/shown, no matter what channel you are on, I'd like it to be linked to the channel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Some viewers may notice prompts for key community events when chat is closed in web view and theater mode.  This feature lets users know they can participate in these events when chat is not visible.  By selecting the prompt, chat will open automatically and you can choose to participate in the event.  The prompts will not be visible on mobile or when watching in full screen.  

This feature is in limited release and we are looking to collect feedback during this time.  We look forward to hearing from you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Hey I struggle to see certain colours and I chat in people's streams alot. It would be awsome of there was a option to change people's name colour so I can see who I'm talking too as I can't find a option :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Twitch responded

Hey there!

When it comes to seeing people’s names in chat have you tried our ‘readable colors’ setting for chat? It’s located under chat settings > chat appearance > readable colors should be toggle-able. We implemented that so colors in chat would be more accessible for users.

You can find more information about chat here: https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/chat-basics

5. I would love a Twitch chat with a better performance because when I type something in Chat I have to wait sometimes up to 3 seconds until the message gets sent and I did not ever have the same problem with external chat programs.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When I try to whisper someone, a pop up chat appears under the stream screen as default but when that happens I cannot see the buttons of full-screen, clip or settings. I believe that's a UX problem and should be improved.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Very simple, VPNs and TOR / onion routing are routinely weaponized by bad actors such as serial trolls and harassers to effortlessly ban evade Twitch's IP bans, especially when the bar to create new accounts is incredibly low (if not virtually non-existent). The time has come for Twitch to disable these backdoors that enable harassers and does more harm than good. Twitch uses IRC for its chat functionality, and IRC natively supports detection and blocking of these services. (Twitch just has to enable it)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stream Chat  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I think it would help a lot to reward loyal users to have a few seconds of spotlight after sending a message so they do not get lost amid the chat spam in big channels.

If VIP user sends a message ALL chat messages pause for 5 seconds. Specially for mods... some kind of option to send a "Remarked Message" so maybe it has a 10s chat pause. That way certain information can come across during chat crazyness...
    If Tier 3 Sub sends a message all chat messages pause for 3 seconds.
    Even 1 second between messages would mean quite…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It would be nice to be able to view your own chat log, the same way moderators/streamers can view yours. And if you've been timed out, you can see which chat message got you a timeout.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Let the content creator can change the background theme of the chatbox. So, it can be more than the normal White or Black theme chatbox. What do I mean about that, I'm talking about a little bit of customization. The content creator can the background color to Red, Blue, to Twitch's iconic Purple color, or whatever they like as long it's following Twitch's TOS. The letter's color will automatically change to adapt to the background color, so the viewers can still see the chat easily.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Similar to Twitter, so when you click on a user's name in chat you will see:

• A "follows you" tag so you know if they are following you, if you happen to see them in another channel's chat

• An option to view "channels you both follow" so you know if you have any other channels in common

People often say they see similar names in other chats and it would be really useful to know what channels/interests you share with other Twitch users.

112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Card  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hey! I was just chilling in one of my friends chats, he averages around 1k viewers and I'm a mod there. I was joking around and said Retweet ( @usersname ) Message that they said. I think it would be a brilliant feature if you could actually retweet a message from someone in the chat. But of course there would have to be a limit of how much you can retweet, similar to how spamming works. The mods would have control over if the retweet is approved based on if the viewer is spamming retweets. View it like someone is…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow viewers to increase the font size in the chat text box. I can increase size for chat but want to be able to see what I type before I hit send.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Is it possible that you can make the chat log search easier for mods by letting us sort by old or new comment first, show only deleted messages, responded comments etc., and also let us search by specific words and dates? That would make the modding a lot easier. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I was doing a Qna and I wanted it to be a little more interactive. So I am suggesting voice recording chat.
    So, a viewer that wants to say something with their voice gets 10 seconds or (set-time) to say anything you want and the whole stream gets to hear it when requested. This would work if mods would review the voice recording to hear and see if its appropriate or not.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Could twitch make a feature like showing chat moving from right to left on the screen, like a flying bullet. Some stream software like Huya and Douyu in China have made this successful and popular. That will not only make the chat more visable but also be a part of the screen show. I strongly recommend this feature!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Have a Castor chat option to use the arrow key in the chat that allows you to scroll down chat comments 1 at a time. This way you can break away from chat to focus on content and easily pick up were you left off.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. As a viewer, I don't want my "send a message" box flickering, so that my eyes can be saved.

Steps to reproduce:
    when watching a stream,
    1. click on the "send a message" box and don't type anything
    2. hover the mouse cursor over the 'followed channels' or 'recommended channels' without typing anything
    3. you can notice the "send a message" box flickering between the 'clicked' & 'non-clicked' mode

*It's not a big deal... but kind of disturbing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When a user clicks a link in chat.

Where the link is written as

words and stuff cohh.tv/store other words and stuff

A user in the Twitch app will click that and is redirected/sent to http://cohh.tv/store/

Which results in an error page on android

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/415088605837393931/767743175707197500/Screenshot_20201019-153309_Twitch.jpg

Links in chat in the App should default to https:// to avoid this issue. For links in chat that don't include a schema in the text/chat message

(I was sure I heard this bug had been fixed but it has reoccured/reported today)

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Users have no purpose in seeing when a comment has been moderated. The text should not simply have a stamp placed over it that shows everyone it was removed (social embarrassment pressure) but should be removed entirely from chat. It would allow for fewer data transfer to individuals who are performing as expected. It would reduce chat congestion. It would promote better engagement by streamers as they wouldn't have to scope though garbage comments to reply. If the message sender needs to be notified a whisper could be applied to them suggesting their comment was removed. No further information is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stream Chat  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?