Implement child-broadcasting PREVENTION measures.
Adopting industry-standard child broadcasting PREVENTION measures
to deter preteens from mobile streaming on Twitch (& predators targeting them):
✩ In short:
• Implement a 25-50 follower requirement for mobile broadcasting.
• Newcomer mobile-only adults can bypass this through ID-verification.
• Uniquely on Twitch (among other major livestreaming services),
underage users can presently pick up their phone, create an account and go live-streaming without restrictions – all in 2 minutes.
✩ In detail:
• 1. CONTEXT:
September 2022, Bloomberg report illustrates how Amazon's Twitch, uniquely so in contrast with competing broadcasting platforms,
leads the video-service industry in widescale child-livestreaming and consequent widespread predation.
• 2. WHY:
– This is due to Twitch lacking child-broadcasting PREVENTION measures incorporated on other live-services.
– 280,000 mobile-broadcasting Twitch preteens have been targeted by predatory entities who manipulate, threaten, coerce, in real-time, towards broadcasted gestures or worse..
• 3. WHERE:
– Near totality of Twitch’s adult creatorbase is on computer.
– Nearly totality of Twitch's preteen broadcasting is on mobile.
• 4. WHAT:
The entirety of the widescale Twitch’s child-broadcasting issue ends overnight when it adopts vital PREVENTION measures:
The most effective of which is (standard on other live-services, extremely effective at deterring underage live-streaming)
✩ Mobile follower requirement (25-50 followers).
✩ ID-Verification for Mobile streaming.
• 5. SAFETY & ACCESSIBILITY:
• Twitch is committed to having its service freely available to all users (of age), including adults who might first try their hand at streaming through mobile devices.
• The ID-Verification feature for MOBILE ONLY (increasingly adopted across social media) is the perfect happy medium permitting adults to stream on mobile without the required followers;
– While simultaneously ensuring child safety through crucial barriers.
✩ It is vital TWITCH urgently adopts this industry-standard MOBILE-streaming barrier to prevent preteens from freely broadcasting, and consequently being preyed upon.
• Twitch released a Safety Blog:
Through which, in general terms, it addressed clear intent in detecting, identifying & combating:
occurring on the platform.
✩ However, that sidesteps the main concern:
– There exists not a single sentence in this Safety-Blog-Post,
issued 1 day after the Twitch widespread-child-broadcasting (& consequent predation) article,
that addresses the core and most important issue at hand:
– Twitch uniquely lacks the industry-standard BARRIERS to PREVENT underage streamers going live to begin with.
– Which, naturally, is the very first prevention measure in combating child-harm.
• This Twitch UserVoice suggestion is NOT addressing on-platform grooming foremost, nor detection of existing children.
✩ It tackles the necessary (present and extremely effective on competing livestreaming services) mobile broadcasting safety measures which PREVENT new preteens from going live on Twitch.
1. This is the comparison between livestreaming platforms:
Clearly demonstrating how this is a unique Twitch vulnerability, one solved through Mobile (only) follower requirement;
2. And this is the standard social media verification for adults:
So that we're not denying access to creators of age aiming to begin mobile broadcasting on Twitch.
✩ Every single day lacking the crucial mobile-phone barriers to deter NEW preteens from freely going live on Twitch,
means leaving the door open for tragedy to occur.