Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

IGDB

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

IGDB

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Often when entering different Themes, Game-types, and/or Genres to define or classify a title, it is often up to the Editor's personal definition to what entails each category. Some may feel a "Shooter" only means FPS, others may include Shmups, or anything that fires a gun like Mega Man.

It would be very helpful to have a defined definition for each category display when entering each one into a Edit page by hovering your mouse pointer over the entry.

Discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/114736716505546761/458320386275409964/715373659681980507

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Edits & Contributions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

So, we actually used to have Tool Tips on our game edits, specifically for the Franchise and Series field.

This feature broke at some point during our infrastructure migration post-acquisition, and disabled it.

Now, we absolutely would like to bring this back indeed, and expand to more fields. As we are not constantly adding new data points and are putting a big focus right now on our contribution tools this is an excellent suggestion.

We’ll take a look at the best places to implement them!

2. TL;DR: Some way to differentiate canonical franchise entries from noncanonical ones would be awesome.

First off, I love that IGDB accepts and maintains data about ROM hacks, fan games, and other "unofficial" titles. It really helps the platform's position and usability as a database for all games of all kinds.

That being said, when looking through the search results for a franchise like Pokemon, there are an incredible number of these unofficial games mixed into the results, many of which are built off of the existing, official games. There's nothing (as far as I can tell, anyway) in the metadata…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Edits & Contributions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Adding filter options to lists would be great. For example, if I want to filter a list to check only a specific genre, series or franchise, for example.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. There is already a wealth of video types one can choose from when uploading a video related to a game, but commercials for a game are not included. These commercials often give an insight into the culture of the era in which the game was released, or occasionally have some lore or culture of their own.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!
    Good news! We discussed this internally, and thought it would indeed be a great addition!

We’ll be adding a new category for our videos labeled Commercial Trailer.

We’ll be in touch once it’s done and live! Thanks again for the suggestion :)

5. Something fairly simple: a "clear all notifications" button on the "Your Notifications" page. I do a lot of editing at once, so it's a bit annoying to have to remove each notification one at a time when I'm bombed with "your change has been approved" messages. Maybe a similar thing for the notification bell button up top as well?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Just like itch.io, there are lots of games are available on gamejolt.com. So, please add this feature where I can add Gamejolt link as a store. Thank you.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Currently keywords are just a dumping ground for any word or phrase that is somewhat related to a game.

Perhaps what is needed is a re-definition or splitting up of keywords into:

Game mechanics (keywords)
    Atmospheric/visual (keywords)
    Player character (keywords)
    Other/Minor (keywords)

Let's take the "rain" keyword for example. Currently there are 310 games with this keyword assigned. These games feature rain to various degrees for various purposes:

Gameplay: Rain (Game) - a core mechanic where your character is invisible unless they stand in the rain.
    Atmospheric: Deadly Premonition - it rains for most of the game, and the raincoat…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Edits & Contributions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Adding a Full/Partial Controller Support column for titles in the database.

This would be monumental for indexing games that can be played from the couch or not.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New Data Suggestion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3D view of game covers, being able to view the front, sides and back sides.
    Could be nice when having many regions and scanned images of all sides of a box art.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey! For now we’re focusing on a single cover standard. Which we’ll then expand to other regions to be able to cover more types of users for this standard.

Once we have good coverage of those we may start looking at additional aspects such as sides, back of cover etc..

Thanks!

10. A dedicated IGDB mobile app would be great however I would settle for your website to be better mobile optimized.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Heya!

We actually used to have apps, but our (IGDB) team is quite small we decided to terminate them as we couldn’t guarantee high quality support for them. We don’t plan to refocus on apps until we can guarantee that seal of quality again.

However we do plan on revisiting and improving our mobile site before then!

Stay tuned :)

11. It would help with searching for specific kinds of games and I'll make sure to help with sorting games into these categories since I've made my own sites about such games.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Creat lists that you can share with others.
    For example “list of all new e3 games”

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. The 'follow' attribute for a game is never returned from the API.
    For example, I would expect the following query to return "follows": 466 (as per the website).

fields name, follows, hypes;
    where name ~ "last of us: part";
    limit 10;

Instead, I get:

"id": 26192,
    "hypes": 325,
    "name": "The Last of Us: Part II"

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  API Bug Report  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there, we don’t actively support Follows (and Hype) as a data point. We need to update our documentation to reflect this, apologies.

Follow is part of the private endpoint we are sunsetting.

14. Company logos change with time and many of them do drastic changes. Suggestion to be able to upload more than 1 logo as well as date input accompanying logos.
    Also have a nice logo picture timeline where each logo has a 'from' and 'to' date associated.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Titles contained within Collections and other Bundles can be listed as included by displaying links on the Game Page to each respective title's own page. However there is no current way to list titles unlocked as secrets from earning achievements or other various tasks in game.

Ex. Completing the Xbox release of House of the Dead III unlocks House of the Dead 2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. It would be good to have some preset options for screenshot descriptions, like Alternative Names have (and still maintain the possibility of adding a custom description).

The main suggestions I have are:

• Title screen (I use this one all the time)
    • In-game screenshot
    • Main menu
    • Opening screenshot
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I was trying to add credits for a game I developed myself, but we have no youtube video showing the credits. I think there should be another method of verification for entered credits e.g. websites or some kind of verification of the credibility of the editor.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya!

Our end credits is one of the oldest feature we have on the site and indeed could use some additional improvements.
    Unfortunately this isn’t currently planned to revisit it in the short term.

We do however intend to explore ways to differentiate game developers from regular users which could also help such use cases.

Thanks!

18. I wasn't sure what to use for this and I think that's the point. Puzzle titles like Tetris, Pong, Breakout, and the like are very hard to define in terms of a Theme based on the choices available.

An Abstract Theme might be the best case in these situations.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In lists, I see that you can export those lists into csv files. However, when I go to view them, they don't have the user's personal rating, which I feel like is an important data point if someone wants to see their lists.

Essentially, this request is for a new column alongside the average user rating called "Personal Rating".

If no personal rating exists, it can either be 0 or empty.

Thank you for all your hard work!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reviews & Ratings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. I'm not an advocate for the platform, but I feel if Sega CD and 32X addons are their own platforms, this should probably be one as well, even for as short lived as it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar_CD

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?