Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

IGDB

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

IGDB

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

24 results found

1. Simple as. While they should adhere to guidelines, users should be able to opt for which box art they prefer on IGDB. Doing so would not only be preferable for some who prefer some art over another, but would also fleshen out the Database by letting users see which artwork corresponds to which region.

86 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya!

There’s absolutely a need for multiple covers as a data point, we hear you :) Let’s clarify what this could mean in the near future:

One thing that we are currently looking at is expanding data for Localization, and covers are an obvious fit for this. However it’s worth pointing that Localized cover and additional cover might not mean the same thing. For example offering the Japanese specific cover doesn’t mean having multiple variant for it (different artworks, logo style, dimensions etc..).

We will start with Localization, which will help provide API users more options for their own communities. And as a second step from there we would begin looking at how to offer multiple variant of a single regional cover so that users may pick & choose.

Hope this helps!

2. Hey!

Seeing that there are already both screenshots, and Artworks it would be great to also be able to add game logos.
    I make covers often from official artworks so I usually end-up downloading transparent logos at the same time anyway.

Thanks!

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey! yes this is a great suggestion, we’ve definitely been wanting to expand our Game Media coverage with logos.
    Especially for PressKits for example.

3. I'm having an issue where preforming API searches doesn't return games that exists on the IGDB site.

For example, these two Pokemon games exist on IGDB:
    https://www.igdb.com/games/pokemon-x
    https://www.igdb.com/games/pokemon-y

But when I search via the API I get no results back.

I'm searching this endpoint:
    https://api-v3.igdb.com/games

And here's my search body:
    search "Pokémon x"; fields id,name,cover.imageid,firstrelease_date; where cover != null; limit 5;

I get an empty JSON result.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there.
    Search in the API is indeed in need of a big overhaul, this is planned and in our backlog, unfortunately it isn’t on our immediate roadmap and therefore not currently being worked on.
    Apologies in the meantime, we will keep our API community up to date as soon as work on this feature begins.

4. Please add options to order our lists by name, date of addition, date of launch, etc. The lists options are too scarce!

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Lists  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya!

Dropping by to mention list management improvements are in progress :)

We've already put live:

• better custom list edit tools (duplicate warnings, floating nav, mov games to top/bottom etc..)
    • Support for numbered list in grid view
    • Security fixes on list for duplicates or disabled games

List sorting is next up coming very soon. Stay tuned!

5. Apparently there was previously features for adding a custom profile pic and banner which were disabled. If that's the case it would be great to bring those back, I can't see them doing any harm. More personalisation is appreciated on sites such as these. It would also be nice to display some kind of bio in the "Overview" section (there's even space in the middle perfect for it) as well as a possible list of consoles/platforms owned.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

I can confirm this is definitely in the works. When we switched to Twitch logins after the acquisition we had to terminate our own user upload feature for safety and privacy reasons. The current plan is to add the ability to sync your IGDB profile Avatar & Banners with your Twitch profile, so it would be one seamless account across both.

Adding extra to the profile itself is something we very much would like to do, some work has even already put into this. Unfortunately however this isn’t currently on our roadmap and priority list for the short term. But soon!

Thanks!

6. Currently, the basic search algorithm on IGDB seems to value popularity over anything -- even the title of the game being searched.
    When I searched for "Persona 2", it being a 2-part game, the games "Persona 2: Innocent Sin" and "Persona 2: Eternal Punishment" appear as the 16th and 19th entries down the list respectively, while "Persona 5", by dar the most popular game in the series, showed up first.
    The algorithm needs to prioritize the search input much more than it currently does, as the current system renders inputting sequel or series entry numbers (2, 5 etc.) quite useless.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Right now there seems to be some confusion with the available options for Genres and Themes. Some options are missing, others are in Themes whereas they would make more sense in Genres, and yet others are way too broad to be descriptive and informative.

My suggestion is first to determine what is a Genre and what is a Theme, and convey that to all the data contributors. I suggest to define "Genre" as something that indicates HOW the game is played (gameplay rules and elements), and "Theme" as something that indicates WHERE the game is played (setting and lore elements).

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

First of all thanks a lot for putting this table together, this for sure will become handy when we research this further.

We’ve been wanting to revamp our Genres/Themes/Keywords for a while, it’s a fairly big undertaking that implies a taxonomy upgrade.
    We’ve discussed making use of a sub categories to avoid redundancy and more accuracy for example.

While this isn’t on our radar just yet, i would say it is pretty high up our list of feature upgrade. We’ll keep in touch when we start this project!

8. Something that can become rather repetitive and even prevent users from adding all the Add-ons for a given title is repetitively entering the same data points over and over.

It would be extremely helpful if you set an entry to be an Addon, Expansion, Version or other relevant entry to copy all data relevant data from the original title.

Such as:
    - Categorization fields
    - Company fields
    - Websites
    - Engine
    - Age Ratings

Ex. LittleBigPlanet

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey! Excellent suggestion, in fact we have something very similar in our Backlog already, with a ‘inherit data from parent’ feature.

It’s just at an idea stage for now, but we’ll look into planning in in accordance with our roadmap as soon as possible.
    Cheers!

9. Add more external game sources

such as

• uplay / uplay connect
    • epic

Add more website sources

such as

• uplay / uplay connect
    16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Barry!
    Yes absolutely this is planned. While External Games and External Websites are separate they are closely related and may tackle them together.

For External Games this will be a big focus for us going forward.
    Stay tuned!

10. The element used for browsing lists of games that fit a certain page’s criteria (e.g. game engine pages, category/keyword pages, franchise pages) sometimes does not display the pagination, preventing users from seeing any games beyond the first 10 shown. Changing the sort mode can allow you to see a different slice of 10 games, thus verifying that there should be additional pages visible.

some examples:
    https://www.igdb.com/game_engines/bitsy
    https://www.igdb.com/game_engines/pico-8
    https://www.igdb.com/game_engines/twine
    https://www.igdb.com/categories/homestar-runner
    https://www.igdb.com/categories/real-time-battles
    https://www.igdb.com/franchises/homestar-runner

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya! Indeed definitely a bug, we’ve added this into our backlog and will look at a fix as soon as possible.
    Thanks!

11. Often when entering different Themes, Game-types, and/or Genres to define or classify a title, it is often up to the Editor's personal definition to what entails each category. Some may feel a "Shooter" only means FPS, others may include Shmups, or anything that fires a gun like Mega Man.

It would be very helpful to have a defined definition for each category display when entering each one into a Edit page by hovering your mouse pointer over the entry.

Discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/114736716505546761/458320386275409964/715373659681980507

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So, we actually used to have Tool Tips on our game edits, specifically for the Franchise and Series field.

This feature broke at some point during our infrastructure migration post-acquisition, and disabled it.

Now, we absolutely would like to bring this back indeed, and expand to more fields. As we are not constantly adding new data points and are putting a big focus right now on our contribution tools this is an excellent suggestion.

We’ll take a look at the best places to implement them!

12. Hi,
    when I check my own channel on Twitch, I like to see the colouredful section name something like "Recently broadcast categories" (in Italian "Categorie trasmesse di recente), with all Game Covers from recently streamed games/categories.

Anyway, seeing I bring lot of indie (expecially less less known ones) I often find they have no Game Cover at all related to their category. And they show and ugly grey empty cover box.

But most of them actually can show a Game Cover on IGDB... or if they don't, well I often upload a cover by myself, if I can.

The fact…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!
    Thanks for reaching out. This has been an ongoing request, and an obvious fit for IGDB and Twitch.

A separate team within Twitch has this planned. We (IGDB) do have covers as a high data priority and are indeed ready to power Twitch with those covers :)

Stay tuned for future Twitch announcements :)

13. There is already a wealth of video types one can choose from when uploading a video related to a game, but commercials for a game are not included. These commercials often give an insight into the culture of the era in which the game was released, or occasionally have some lore or culture of their own.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!
    Good news! We discussed this internally, and thought it would indeed be a great addition!

We’ll be adding a new category for our videos labeled Commercial Trailer.

We’ll be in touch once it’s done and live! Thanks again for the suggestion :)

14. Have more options in the personalise home screen that change the categories that show, and maybe change the locations like widgets.

Bee able to see suggested games (based on ratings), see karma hunter categories (missing credits, missing screenshots), be able to make the coming soon big like the popular games right now etc.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

Awesome suggestion thank you. Revisiting the homepage is definitely planned in the future. Right now we do have filters by platforms that will impact the games reviewed and the coming soon/recently released sections.

Being able to showcase more community driven games, such as rated, reviewed or contributed is definitely one good option.

We’ll have announcements when we return to this! thanks

15. Currently if you look at a series collection page, the main games, dlc and expansions are listed, but not standalone expansions.

Examples:
    https://www.igdb.com/games/nostalgia-forte is not listed on its series collection page https://www.igdb.com/collections/nostalgia

https://www.igdb.com/games/far-cry-3-blood-dragon is not listed on its series collection page https://www.igdb.com/collections/far-cry

I think it is hard to find those stand alone expansions from the perspective of trying to find all standalone games in a series and would really like to have them represented.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Search & Discover  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I have been a huge fan of your site and contributed with game additions. The prospect of having a fully functional and well supported IMDB for games was such a great idea. Unfortunately, since Twitch took over the platform, everything has come to a halt and It seems like Twitch only bought the site and it's userbase and never had any intend of developing the site further. Apps are no longer worked on, the site is buggy and you cannot even maintain a wishlist without any technical issues. It's a shame really to see this potential and love of every…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya! Thank you for the honest feedback, it does mean a lot and we totally understand such frustrations. I can add some context on where IGDB is at the moment, but first i can say that it is absolutely still our plan to return to the website development and just like you the team is very eager to improve on the potential it has :)

An acquisition is a complex matter from an engineering perspective, from months prior the public announcement we had set deadlines to migrate infrastructure, services, security systems etc.. to align with our new teams. That took significant time and effort, during which we had to put development of the website on hold beyond basic maintenance (unfortunately). Once done we decided to focus on growth of our core product as a database. Which is why the main product updates we made have been around our contributing users,…

17. This one I never really considered until I came across multiple good examples, and they are a step above Tiger Electronics games.

Plug-and-Play TV Games, or Handheld TV Games were cheap, "toy-isle" games that hooked up directly to a TV to play one-off titles, coming with a cheap controller or even a light-gun.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_TV_game

TMNT examples:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tmnt/tmnt13.htm

I wouldn't look to add each and every one as a Platform, but a generic "Plug-and-Play" Platform like the legacy Mobile Platform could help give these a Platform to live on.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey!

We looked into this and thought it was a good fit for sure. We might end up tackling this at the same time as better handling of similar platforms such as Tiger electronics.

Thanks!

18. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Games' ratings may be skewed or conflicting if they have wildly different ports.

For example, "The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning" has its console ports, which are fundamentally the same, but it also has a 2D side-scroller port for GBA, and an isometric port for DS; both vary greatly (especially the GBA port) from the console release. Another example is Shrek 2, where the PC port is effectively an entirely different game from the console ports (and the matching PC port was called "Shrek 2: Team Action!")

Metacritic already separates game ratings by every port, and imo that's how…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey there!

You are 100% correct on this :) We would consider the GBA, DS, and DS releases as Ports in the sense they deserve their own pages on IGDB so they can be rated & reviewed individually.

This is indeed a perfect example for ports. In this case it’s simply that we haven’t got around to split the releases and clean up the data.

Thanks for pointing it out, we’ll get right on it!

Dropping the link to our guidelines Ports just in case as well: https://github.com/twitchtv/igdb-contribution-guidelines/wiki/Game-Types

20. As I was in the process of adding a game to the database, I was shown a list of fields into which I could enter URLs to that game's pages on various stores (Steam, GOG, Epic, etc.) but there was no URL field for the Microsoft Store. Why? The Microsoft Store has to be one of the most popular digital game sources. When IGDB adds a field for a Microsoft Store URL, I will edit the game's entry on IGDB to add a link to that game's Microsoft Store page.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya! Thanks for the suggestion, definitely a good one.

As a matter of fact we have plans this year to introduce stores, and possibly linking them to “Platforms”. You are correct that windows, XOne, X360 etc.. all have different stores so they would need separate implementation.

Stay tuned!

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?