Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

IGDB

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

IGDB

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

43 results found

1. According to contribution guidelines, "Genre is the first tier in our 3-tier categorization system. Choose the most fitting genre(s) to broadly describe the game."
    "Indie" is not the primary, broad description for a game. Maybe in 2007, but not today. They are puzzles/platformers/etc before they are indie. Indie is better suited as a keyword, if anything.

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Previously, I had been able to submit coverart for games on Twitch via a form located on the Twitch support website. This was a critical feature of Twitch to ensure that smaller and/or older games on the Twitch platform wouldn't be left with incorrect or generic artwork. However, as of late, my submissions of coverart via the form have gone unanswered, and the link to the form has been removed from Twitch's support site as well.

For context, the form is located here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeHi3k8F8Vmu_uayd-ynHWh0fZ8O5FkAc3Smp4lJrj6r-I5eg/viewform

And it was referenced on this support page: https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/adding-a-game-and-box-art-to-the-directory?language=en_US

In the past, similar issues have occurred…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Many companies exist on the site under two or more names, with a number of games attributed to each of the various forms of their name. A procedure to flag and combine these disparate developer and publisher listings under a single company name would allow this data to be cleaned up and made more useful.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The popular category 'Games + Demo's' currently has missing cover art.

I reached out to the IGDB team and they said "As these specific categories are directly handled by Twitch and generally handled internally, it would best be submitted to their UserVoice" with that being said, I would like to submit a piece of Cover Art for approval for the category.

As I can't attach a photo, here are my two submissions (I prefer option 2):

1) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBw7CcibkAA7a85?format=jpg&name=small (Alternative link: https://imgur.com/Fl9OeNW)

2) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBw7DBkb0AA9C7o?format=jpg&name=small
    (Alternative link: https://imgur.com/Ks5naZL)

Thank you,

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We are trying to Add VoxPop Storefront links, What is the submission process for the VP icono to be added to Storefronts?

This is the VoxPop Games storefront - https://www.voxpopgames.site/store/featured

The Storefront is legit and has been featured via Game Informer: https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/02/14/weaponeer-a-game-developed-by-a-17-year-old-that-you-can-play-with-one-hand-is-out-today

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. TL;DR: Some way to differentiate canonical franchise entries from noncanonical ones would be awesome.

First off, I love that IGDB accepts and maintains data about ROM hacks, fan games, and other "unofficial" titles. It really helps the platform's position and usability as a database for all games of all kinds.

That being said, when looking through the search results for a franchise like Pokemon, there are an incredible number of these unofficial games mixed into the results, many of which are built off of the existing, official games. There's nothing (as far as I can tell, anyway) in the metadata…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there! We couldn't agree more that we need something to differentiate official and unofficial content and we've been discussing for a while how we can do that. We are currently investigating ways forward to make sure that when we do this, it's done correctly. Thanks for the great suggestion!

7. It's a distinct enough style of gameplay that it should be a genre rather than just a keyword.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I've noticed a large number of my games have no critic rating in gog due to gog using igdb for their database.

There also appears to be no way of adding critic reviews or flagging a game as requiring them?

Would it be possible to have this feature and perhaps provide a link to another website that has documented them to speed up the process? This way they can still be vetted by yourselves.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Often when entering different Themes, Game-types, and/or Genres to define or classify a title, it is often up to the Editor's personal definition to what entails each category. Some may feel a "Shooter" only means FPS, others may include Shmups, or anything that fires a gun like Mega Man.

It would be very helpful to have a defined definition for each category display when entering each one into a Edit page by hovering your mouse pointer over the entry.

Discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/114736716505546761/458320386275409964/715373659681980507

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So, we actually used to have Tool Tips on our game edits, specifically for the Franchise and Series field.

This feature broke at some point during our infrastructure migration post-acquisition, and disabled it.

Now, we absolutely would like to bring this back indeed, and expand to more fields. As we are not constantly adding new data points and are putting a big focus right now on our contribution tools this is an excellent suggestion.

We’ll take a look at the best places to implement them!

10. Besides the confusion with genres and themes (and things being really blanket), it would be great if people upvote or downvote genres to video games instead of how it is currently, where users can add whatever genres/tags they want with moderation, which leads to Steam/IGDB tags that don't really help for having users find similar games.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. As I make changes to entries on existing titles in the database, the Karma Hunters Contributions listing focuses on entries that are Missing Covers or box art entirely. This omits entries that have been uploaded from Steam that display in 600x900 and do not adhere to the 3:4 ratio that would display in the Twitch category. It would be great to see a global breakdown of those that are in error so they can be addressed by the community.

https://www.igdb.com/karma_hunters

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a way to add photos to person pages

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I was trying to add credits for a game I developed myself, but we have no youtube video showing the credits. I think there should be another method of verification for entered credits e.g. websites or some kind of verification of the credibility of the editor.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Heya!

Our end credits is one of the oldest feature we have on the site and indeed could use some additional improvements.
    Unfortunately this isn’t currently planned to revisit it in the short term.

We do however intend to explore ways to differentiate game developers from regular users which could also help such use cases.

Thanks!

14. Currently keywords are just a dumping ground for any word or phrase that is somewhat related to a game.

Perhaps what is needed is a re-definition or splitting up of keywords into:

Game mechanics (keywords)
    Atmospheric/visual (keywords)
    Player character (keywords)
    Other/Minor (keywords)

Let's take the "rain" keyword for example. Currently there are 310 games with this keyword assigned. These games feature rain to various degrees for various purposes:

Gameplay: Rain (Game) - a core mechanic where your character is invisible unless they stand in the rain.
    Atmospheric: Deadly Premonition - it rains for most of the game, and the raincoat…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. One of the things that really confuses me about IGDB is that I often have interactions with IGDB admins that make me wonder if they know Twitch isn't paying me to work for IGDB.

IGDB admins have repeatedly been very snappy with me when I make several contributions to the database, and have gone out of their way to make it obvious how annoyed they are with me. So let me spell it out louder for the people in the back,

You are the ones who are being paid. I'm taking my free time to submit information to make this…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Some games share additional content such as DLC, Expansions, Packs/Addons, Updates, Seasons, and Mods with ports of their game or sequels. While this would be a limited specific use case it will allow content pages to be shared between titles and limiting duplicates.

A great example is Minecraft. The latest update for Minecraft, the 1.19 Wild Update appears twice on IGDB. Once for the original Minecraft: Java Edition and another for the port Minecraft: Bedrock Edition. These two pages contain the same content and there isn't much of a reason for it to be separate.

Java: https://www.igdb.com/games/minecraft-the-wild-update
    Bedrock: https://www.igdb.com/games/minecraft-the-wild-update--1

Another…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. A new game type "Expanded Bundle. I have run into a couple of situations now where a game bundles a couple of older games within it's new release. Right now they usually sit as a main game, since the new content falls under a new game, but adding this would allow us to link the bundled games additionally to reduce confusion.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It would be good to have some preset options for screenshot descriptions, like Alternative Names have (and still maintain the possibility of adding a custom description).

The main suggestions I have are:

• Title screen (I use this one all the time)
    • In-game screenshot
    • Main menu
    • Opening screenshot
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi! We think this is a fantastic idea and follow the patterns we have for videos which indeed improves the consistency. We have made a ticket and will try to work on this as soon as possible. Thanks!

19. I want to contribute to the community by adding qualified category images from IGDB to Twitch. Particularly for the games Dead or Alive 2 and Dead or Alive 3.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I think one of the sections that need the most contribution, especially in terms of time, is the credits. Having to type each name and title into the given boxes takes quite a lot of time and can be a deterrent.

Since for most games the information is already out there, being able to copy and paste the information into a standard format (maybe word, excel etc.) and then import that into IGDB would really help.

Also, being able to edit them even after the changes have been accepted so people can add different languages/voice actors.

Might also be worth…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?