• New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 390 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: OpenID Connect
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

116 comments  ·  Usernames  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Planned  ·  Anonymous responded

We’re reviewing this. Curious how long you think would be ok.

2. Yes, I'm aware: per the recycling policy on the website, "Once you have changed your name, the abandoned usernames will be held by Twitch for a minimum of 6 months"

But they're clearly not being recycled. I've been waiting on an old name since the policy was announced, and it had already been changed for at least a year when it was. I had changed it as part of an effort to rebrand some aspects of creation, which has changed directions since then.

Six months is absolutely a reasonable amount of time, but these names are clearly not being recycled.…

92 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Usernames  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Twitch's "recycle" policy is misleading and they're not true to their words.

I've been waiting 6 years to claim my old account's usenrame. According to the recycle policy, it says it'll take 6 months to 1 year before inactive usernames can be reclaimed by somebody else.

I can't be the only one who's been waiting to reclaiming usernames??????????

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Usernames  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. This feature has be announced in 2018 and Twitch still haven't started doing this since then. Inactive accounts are not being recycled and its annoying to see someone else have a username you want, but have completely forgotten about their Twitch account years ago. Please Twitch, fix this already.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usernames  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. lots of people have been waiting to change there usernames and yet, it hasnt happened. the recycle process of names hasnt happened. i have been trying to change my name for a while and i have been waiting. yet, the username isnt being used by an account at all and i dont understand why i cant have it. it just makes no sense and this needs to be changed. not to mention the accounts taken usernames that havent been used in years. its a waste and a frustration.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Reduce the amount of cooldown after a name change, I have had to wait for 6+ months to get my name changed after I accidentally changed my name. I didn't get a reply from support after 6 months either, so I had to wait it out.
    Even when you change your name you might not even be able to get the name back, which is ridiculous in my opinion. Having to wait 6+ months to get your name back and yet not be able to get it is something that needs to be changed when I accidentally changed my name…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Here's an idea. Actually recycle the inactive user names like you said you would. I've been on Twitch for 7.5 years now WITHOUT my correct handle because someone with 1 follower is "using" it. As long as my fans are searching for my page this account will be "active" because it's getting traffic from my followers. PLEASE allow attention to this and other cases like this instead of sending generic response as if we didn't already research why this is happening. As a 7.5 year Twitch streamer it's crazy to me that myself and others are still waiting for our…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Usernames  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I've seen this requested feature a lot, option to add a display name? (just like with Twitter, there's a display name, and an @username)

Good way to deal with username snipers, generic words & common names such as "Jake" or "Jacob" are already being used of course, but if someone named "Jacob" creates a username such as /Jacob_535455 then it just looks messy for a channel name, so yeah, a display name should be an option too (it's already on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Reddit, Steam, you name it, so it'd be a good idea for here too)

For LIVE…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Usernames  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Just an option to make spaces avaliable in usernames :D

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The recycle program needs a massive overhaul.

There are far to many people waiting on unused usernames that are not released in a timely fashion.

I have been watching two names for years now. One is simply completely inactive with zero information on the profile and has never followed anyone, for years. That account also has never responded to private messages to even suggest someone logged in. **** I'd buy their account name from them if there was anyway I could contact them.

The other has the "Unless you have a time machine." message and may be an old twitch…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Guys please read all of this and vote if you want this to happen. Much Appreciated.

There is a problem for years with any other TWITCH STREAMER especially who are AFFILIATES that they want a USERNAME of their choice but its been taken and used already by any other viewer who is not a streamer or anything. So, to solve this problem here is an idea and I know we all want this. So the idea is that when somebody SIGNUP on TWITCH they will get a RANDOM USERNAME including of random numbers and random alphabets generated by TWITCH. They…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. There are tens of thousands of accounts are inactive never stream just preventing someone else from using the UserID. This is not fair and especially on a platform where users create and build their identity. The user name is a big thing for a streamer.

I am requesting Twitch to delete any account that not used for over 90+ days and release their User ID to the public.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Freeing inactive usernames every 365 days would be insanely helpful to people who want to create on your platform. There are forums all over the internet filled with people asking if there's a way to communicate with twitch about an old account that has the username they want. I'm a streamer struggling with this as well. The username "moony" has been taken for years and inactive, but I can't get it, and I actually use Twitch Daily.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. pls let people, what made mistakes be changing there names, change there name before the 2 month rule again

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I deleted my old account nearly two years ago and the name still has not been recycled. Many people I have seen online share similar experiences with a very sub-optimal recycling system. A system that automatically recycles any usernames from accounts deleted by their owners would be very nice.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. It's 2021 New Era.
    Time for Twitch to get out of its thick skin.
    All Technical Twitch issues, some 99% of which arise from BOTS accounts.
    This is a FAQ last days BOT attacks. and suspect Ddoss.

Twitch management Its Thick headlines Don't leave any suggestion through their thick skin. and deny well-meant security to streamers and viewers. to build in.

now talking takless
    Foreword bots.
    - Spam bots.
    - FOllow bots.
    - Hostbots.
    - Scam bots.
    Started last weeks before Christmas. attacks from bots.
    and server problems worldwide on Twitch. and DDos attacks.
    (ddoss I suspect also comes with…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I want to change my username from "Sym_Point" to "Point" and it says it's not available but no one has the username. What is that for?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Help me make a YouTube channel

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Separate User name from channel names i don't like go on friend stream with NewsInside channel name, much people create secondary account only for this and is terrible.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I just realized after changing my user name that my twitch channel and my name in twitch chat still ramained the same after changing my user name.
    I think if there was an an option setting that allows users to change their display name or set either display name or user name as default would be very useful.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?