How to reduce unwanted users/bots
Dear Twitch Staff,
I know my opinion is just a shoot in the abyss and nobody will ever read it. Despite this, I am going to make a small attempt.
I decided to write this, because I witnessed how a single user with a fake account can force to "expel" my viewers. It was not a regular troll, because he harassed not only the broadcaster (me), but also the normal users in the chat. In addition, he followed me, so he will receive information when exactly I will start a stream. I saw pointless to ban him (even if I did, he could enter with another account), because the normal users already left the stream. Also, I always have a lot of bots which are probably there for collecting personal information.
After this wall of meaningless words, what should be the solution?
Difficult question. Banning is not the best option, because this will trigger an attack from such type of unwanted users.
So, what are the available options?
1) Everyone who follows/subscribes a streamer, must have his account verified by email. Also whenever the streamer decides, he can add a two-factor authentication restriction.
2) Enable the streamers to choose whether they want people without accounts to watch their stream or they have to be registered without authentication or registered and verified by email.
3) Enable the streamers to completely ban registered users that do not have a verified email from the stream (if he has enabled the option to be watched by non-verified accounts). Do not be confused: You can watch a stream with your fake account, but you risk to be removed/banned at any time.
4) Enable the streamers to choose more limitation options for the chat. A small example of statuses:
b) Followers only
c) Subscribers only
d) Users verified by email only
e) Users with two-factor authentication only
5) Enable the streamers to choose limitations for making clips. The example from option 4) can be used.
6) Enable the streamers to ban verified accounts from their channel if they severely violate the Terms and Conditions of Twitch.
7) In relation to option 6), please take more stringent precautions for accounts that have been reported by verified users and if they have violated the Terms and conditions of Twitch, to be banned and never again to be able to register an account from the same email. An option of appealing can be added, because there is a small chance that people who are not guilty to be banned (like after a severe harassment from multiple users that provoke the victim and they all report him). So, to be applicable, please record in your database all the chats during the stream and whether something happens, to have a prove and see what are the roots of the problem.
My idea will slightly reduce the unwanted users/bots. The reason not to be harsher is that there is a high risk that the majority of real users may be discouraged to use Twitch and instead of this, to go on other platforms.
Thank you for reading my seven-storey wall! I would like to read your reply and how to improve the idea, so to have more pleasant experience on twitch and to increase the chance that someone from Twitch Staff will ever read it.