Pronouns show next to the username
I wish Twitch had a feature which let you set your pronouns to appear in chat.
People who have set their pronouns will have them appear next to their name in chat.
The chatter sets their pronouns in the badge-set up.
Big question is implementation.
- hovering over username will show it?
- or another line below or next to the username to say it?
- or are the gender specific signs enough?
The originator of that idea already made a quick version of the version that would show pronouns next to the chatter's username
they've recently amended the ability to edit ones chat presence and pronouns could easily be integrated into that
Opt-in native pronoun tags will allow people to do more to create safer spaces for LGBTQ communities. Right now the only way to do this is with a Google Chrome extension
Pleeeeeease! Not that Twitch actually cares about any of us, taking over a year and thousands of votes to post that they noticed (but haven't done anything about) adding a trans tag to their existing tag system...
Still, support for displaying pronouns is very needed. I muchly like having them in brackets after users' names. This seems common and easy to spot and understand.
And now back to trying to puzzle out a name change that has pronouns in it.
Alejo Pereyra made an extension for Chrome.
You can download it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/twitch-chat-pronouns/agnfbjmjkdncblnkpkgoefbpogemfcii
and you can set your preferred pronouns at https://pronouns.alejo.io
This is how it looks in chat https://twitter.com/Marielitai/status/1331778028012232704
Yes, please!! This would be very helpful for when we speak to chat, and it normalizes pronoun identification for our trans, nonbinary, agender, genderfluid, and other friends!! :)
I really love the parentheses version and have been talking about this constantly for so long... this would be so nice.
Summary after getting feedback:
- option in the user settings (for badges/ username colour)
- pronouns showing up next to the username in chat in parentheses
- pronouns have to be localised, just as Twitch's layout. Meaning: depending on your location/language settings, it shows the user's pronouns in your language, even if the streamer you watch and your fellow chatter are from somewhere else. (maybe default to English settings if the pronouns aren't yet available in said location)
I love it! I think the parentheses version is the easiest as well.
I really like the parentheses version of it. Pronouns next to the chatters name.
IchBins_SN (he/him): Morning. o/
i love this idea!! i started a streaming channel that's specifically welcoming to marginalized groups (and allies!) and being able to have people display their pronouns would make it even more welcoming, i think. c: