Add a poll system
Streamers shouldn't have to rely on external sites like Strawpoll to poll their viewers.
We announced that we are working on delivering creators Polls at Twitchcon this year!
- Where would the results be shown?
In my opinion, depending on the implementation, the results could either be shown:
1. At the top of the Stream Chat. (under the top bar with "Stream Chat" and "Rooms" button)
- Could include leading responses (w/ a number count, and maybe a % of total responses)
- Question could also be included above responses (option for Mods to add question)
2. As an overlay on the broadcaster's stream (need way to disable after X seconds, or remove after ends)
- Automated showing Top 3 (or however many is decided on) answers by the audience
- Not mandatory, but could include the Broadcaster's Questions (maybe option for Mods to put up, so that the Broadcaster does not have to...in case outside doing IRL content). Not mandatory because could create extra burden for creating a poll, rather than just commands (!startpoll, !endpoll).
3. ... Or both 1 & 2
- How would viewers vote?
Likely the easiest & most intuitive way, in my opinion, is to have the viewers just spam their answer in chat & have a script or something within the chat monitor the amount of each response received.(maybe ignoring capitalization & repeated input from a user)
- Will also decrease the work necessary on the viewer's side
- no button presses, or redirects to outside resources
- Will keep everything consolidated
- everything kept within Twitch & Twitch Resources
- Answers can be kept open-ended & flexible, since Viewer responses are being used
- Where are the options shown? (What if a viewer comes in halfway through?)
Since implemented as a chat command, and chat responses are the Answers, there likely wouldn't be a need for options/potential answers.
If the implementation 1 or 2 is chosen w/ the Question shown, it would be pretty easy to be involved, since answers are based off of Chat input.
Tiago Freire commented
It should be possible to piggyback an existing user`s system on the twitch stream.
For example, an external poll would show as an iframe in the chat or as an overlay, sending the data to the user's system and possibly showing a 'thank you' redirected response page in the same iframe.
Also There should be easy ways to make polls either anonymous or identified, where the user would do explicit consent of sharing their personal contact information from their account if they want to answer the poll.
Show the poll in the spot where we have pinned cheers, and allow it to be expanded or collapsed in the same way. I don't think anyone will feel slighted for having their pinned cheer temporarily covered during polling.
the results should be shown similar to how strawpoll and bettertwitchtv have already implemented it, rendering the BTTV version obsolete. a pinned "vote now" at the top will allow you vote at any time (for a brief period of time) and see the results in a small panel.
Sydney Jarel Henry commented
Here are my answers for the questions:
-The results could be shown at the top like pinned bits.
-Viewers could vote via an external link or built-in the Twitch UI.
-Options could be shown in the same spot for where the results are. (Note: the results show after you vote.)
I may draw some concept art if necessary.
Jan-Stefan Janetzky (GottZ) commented
perfectly valid if this can appear like a popup (when clicking smilies / cheers)
I agree with a poll system, but I think it should be like a top 3 suggestions. The streamer should just be able to ask a question and the top 3 repeated chat lines should go up for a vote after a couple minutes and then the viewers can vote from the top 3 to get a result.
How about having a banner below the stream that can contain a poll? Also add editors be able to edit the banners below the stream - at least just the polling ones.
Polls currently are usually handled through chat. For example mod or streamer creates a poll at Strawpoll or some other site and then "advertises" it in the chat giving direct link to that poll. Twitch's own poll feature could be handled in the chat view as well.
1. Using some commands or poll creation view a mod or the streamer creates new poll
2. Using some command a mod or the streamer can advertise this poll in the chat (/displaypoll nextgame)
3. Message gets posted to the chat that contains some description of the poll ("What game should I play next?") and a clickable link.
4. Clicking that link will open a popup window, much like clicking user name in chat does. All the poll options and other needed info and functions are contained within that popup window.
5. When the poll closes the results could be shown either automatically or by using some command. This result message could among other information contain a link that opens a popup view with either textual or graphical representation of the poll result.
During poll creation, various settings could be set:
- How long the poll is open? Time given in minutes, hours or days (0 = infinite, needs to be closed using some command)
- What happens when the poll closes? Nothing, top X options are broadcasted in chat
- Who can vote? Anyone, logged in, only subs
- How many votes each have? Anyone = 1 vote, sub = 10 votes
I've seen several streamers who have had their developers build voting tools [JP and Cohh for example]. So twitch itself doesn't have to provide this service.
w/r/t to questions by Xangold:
1) Results should be generated in a manner that allows people to build personalized graphics. A default output could be included.
2) I think viewers should NOT vote in chat [like !vote 1] UNLESS said voting statements are "muted" for everyone. Otherwise chat would just get too spammy.
3) Options - Use something like PollBot (that can be overloaded/replaced) where streamers can set it to reference the poll every T seconds. Maybe a super basic popup overlay for when polls are happening for basic/new streamers.
Results could be shown somewhere on the stream screen editable by the streamer or directy on the chat
People could vote using a dedicated command such as !vote ot through a button somewherr near the chat or the two ones
Chris Curtis (StdsCatchemall) commented
I'm STDs_CatchEmAll on twitch. Imaging a system almost like Choice chamber. The box would appear above the chat box. Temporarily shrinking the chat while still making it visible, but all options and such would be displayed there.
Viewers could vote by clicking on buttons within that box.
Live results could be shown once a user has voted, or beforehand in the same area. As a "Bar Graph" possibly, or by a percentage like beanpoll/strawpoll
If you want an integrated poll on your stream switch to Hitbox
They should implement the strawpoll into a part of the chat so for example the upper quarter of the chat could change into a kind of window where you can vote and where the results are shown.
Results- Streamer's Choice
- On stream (through OBS/ Xplit widget) Widget provided through Twitchalerts as a chroma key box like the follow alerts are.
-In chat (Through a general message like there is for when you type /color and gives the choices)
Format: <Winner> won the most recent voting on <Topic>
Example: Option A won the most recent voting on Favorite Game
Voting- Commands with /vote#
Example: Orange (1) Apple (2) Banana (3)
Command= /vote 1
In gray text~ You have just voted for option 1: Orange. To change your vote type /vote again followed by a different number. Vote is the most recent /vote command.
The options can be shown through multiple ways:
- OBS/ XPlit (Widget)
Format for chat: <User>, <Broadcaster> is currently polling his/her chat on <Topic>. The options provided are: Option (1) Option (2) ... To vote please type /vote # in the chat.
Example: *Person enters Kappa's channel*
Gray Text ~ Person, Kappa is currently polling his/her chat on Favorite Games. The options provided are: LoL (1) Skyrim (2) Just Cause 3 (3) Mass Effect 3 (4) Other (5). To vote please type /vote # in the chat.
Person: /vote 2
Gray Text ~ You have just voted on option 2: Skyrim. To change your vote....
Desktop Users maybe with BTTV could have the ability to have a small window open with the options and be able to click on the choice they want instead of type the command.
Topic: Favorite Game
[ ] League of Legends
[X] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[ ] Portal
[ ] Mass Effect
[ ] Other
Israel Araujo commented
Where: Twitch alerts like UI in the stream (activable by the streamer) and/or in a tab in chat.
Another where: Create a fixed area on top of the comments where the results and options stay when there's a pool happening.
Another how: considering the fixed area above the chat messages, you can put checkboxes to vote there too.
Jan Bagge commented
use bttv show in chat !vote1 or 2
Results and Options Appear on a second tab located on the chat location, where they can select the options as well. IF a viewer comes in halfway through, the streamer can always explain what is happening. Mobile users can type something like !vote A for their vote also.
at the top of chat show how to vote all the current options and live results like hitbox @xangold
Keith Stewart commented
Aren't there IRC/channel bots that already provide this service?