Refine the Music category into more specific categories.
The Music category has got extremely stacked in the last couple of years. I'd like to suggest creating sub-categories for Music, or more specific Music categories like Music Production, DJ, Radio, Performance, etc...
With Music being a such a broad category at the moment I feel like it's a challenge for people to find the specific kind of Music content they want and it would also help music streamers who specialise in specific areas of the category find their audience a lot easier in what is currently a massively popular (but congested) category.
I've been meaning to request something similar, I've been doing music production streams for the last couple of years and I've found that getting any discovery in the last year or so has been next to impossible as the Music category is just so stacked full these days. It just feels like it's too broad of a category these days and it needs to be refined into sub-categories so people can actually find what they're looking for.
i think to categorize music sub genres there should just be 2 sub genres:
-musician (instrumentalist, singer/songwriter, music production)
sure you can over categorize it but that would devide music category into smaller cults, music should bring people together
I agree. I have nothing against DJ's and pirate radio stations but there's a clear delineation between playing live acoustic/instrumental music and a DJ going through their set.
Also there seems to be very little overlap. I've come across many Twitch user's who weren't even aware there were people playing acoustic music on Twitch.
I've seen so many talented musicians give up streaming on twitch because the music category is flooded by DJ's and radio stations.
The music section of Twitch is great, but it's hard to find live performers in the music category among hundreds of Radio and DJ streams. At first glance it's kind of intimidating.
The Music category encompasses a huge variety of content. Too much to sift through. However if we want to stream a game we're able to pick a specific game within the games section.
I'd suggest adding Live Instrumental Music, Radio, and DJ as separate game categories.
PLEASE! Twitch listen to all the producers and live instrumental artists, give us an own category or put all dem radios and dj´d in thair own category, because when im searching for artists or producers to get in touch and share ideas or advices iss sooo **** difficult because its all so unsorted, i ******** begg u
DJ and Radio streams need their own separate category. No offense to them, but I think musicians/producers/artist should be seperate from radio/dj stuff. The music page is just saturated with dj/radio people and it makes it hard to browse around for artist/producers/musicians etc. If I want to listen to music Ill go to the dj/radio section on twitch.
Completely agree with this. The “tags”, like “musician” hasn’t seemed to help at all for discoverability on my end (as a full time singer-songwriter on twitch and 6 year partner). My viewcount is lower than it has EVER been in over six years. If anything I feel like the tags are limiting exposure to potential interested parties that wouldn’t know to use certain tags. Filtering your search using tags seems only sort of beneficial on the viewers end and not helpful at all to the streamer who is trying to increase exposure. Having a “musician “ section (like actual front page category) that is seperate from the “DJ/Beats” category would be the most helpful as long as they are both easily accessible from the front page.
They've built a strong enough following or there's just and insane amount of them so many of them it warrants giving them a DJ Section. When not being signed in I scrolled 80 lines to find the person I knew was streaming that day. I don't think People looking to hear some of the extremely talented vocal musicians are going to find that talent or think it's even on Twitch if it's keeps getting buried. Years later I'm still finding streamers that have been doing live music this whole time and Twitch is missing out on more hours watched by making it harder to find someone new when your favorites are offline. It's more that just picking which kind of music you want to hear someone sing as I've been blown away many times finding someone in a genre I didn't know I wanted to hear. There's a DJ tab to make it all DJ's however there's not an No-Dj tab that to help introduce me to musicians I haven't found yet. Unless Twitch wants me to spend more time at a PC not using Twitch and finding something else to do I suggest making it easier to direct me to what I'm looking for. I want to be clear I'm not picking on DJ's I'm looking for both to succeed and grow on the Twitch platform without having to play hide and seek to find them.
The music category on twitch is currently a mix of all forms of music. The main three seem to be DJs, radio stations, and independent musicians. I personally am only interested in independent musicians and they usually get drown out by the DJs. It would be very helpful if I could filter my search preferences at least. Ideally, however, they could each have their own categories.
Spoken like someone who hasn't actually looked at the category. The amount of channels that are basically what amounts to pirate radio is overwhelming. I have nothing against pirate radio in principle, but marimba players are hard enough to find without the dilution!
LOL, who on earth is on Twitch simply playing their mixtapes? What you say is a ridiculous underestimation of the work the music DJs on Twitch put into every single one of their DJ sessions, not to mention their own life's work as DJs in real life. Being a good DJ is way harder work than any of you think it is, especially if you're also taking song requests in chat and fitting them into a particular mix. None of you know what being a DJ is really like.
"Live Music Production" needs to be a thing... Show skills not playlists. ;-)
As an amendment to this, i believe In addition to the live music shows, Radio Stations have taken over a large portion of the music section. These streams should go in their own "Radio" category as they also, are very different than live music performances, and music production/creation. The distinction between different aspects of Music is important for all categories and types of music performance, creation, and DJ'ing. The combining of all of these different aspects of the industry hurts not just musicians, but ALL content creators alike in the music category
The radio stations especially should be completely standalone. And probably combined with DJ’s or have it in 3. Radio stations isolated, musicians performing/DJ’s/music performers isolated, and music producers/engineers isolated. Our only hope of getting seen amidst all of this wide variety of content is the hopes that the viewer uses tags when searching. Which I highly doubt is being utilized very much in this specific situation (music production tag)
I strongly agree with this. Please send this up
yes, must have. everyone wants it, but people are lazy to say about it PLEASE MAKE THIS
My name is Jason, A.K.A. Lone Lee, I have been making music for 10+ years. I believe that the majority of music producers on twitch are really suffering from the combining of live music performance and music production categories into one.
Here are some reasons why these should be separate categories:
1. People who are looking for one or the other will be discouraged to scroll through the list to find what they are looking for if there is a lot of irrelevant streams on that category. For instance, when i specifically look for someone using FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton, or other popular production software i OFTEN have to scroll down a SIGNIFICANT amount before I am able to find someone NOT performing music or DJ'ing but doing music production.
2. Its is very frustrating trying to build an audience in the music production genre when large companies such as Events companies (insomniac, etc) livestream their concerts in that section. Not only does it take a lot of potential viewers away from producers, but it is discouraging seeing that NO ONE producing music is even on the top of the music section. It is literally all DJ's and people covering songs/singing/playing instrument covers of songs. Thus making it near impossible for smaller streamers to get views.
3. If you sort by viewers low to high, it ALSO takes a significant amount of time to find someone producing music due to the popularity of DJ'ing as a whole.
4. Kenny Beats, one of the most famous hip hop producers, who will often be on the front page of twitch, is RARELY EVER even in the top 10 streamers in the music section, and all he does is production. DJ'ing and live music performances have lowered the quality of the Music section significantly therefore making it extremely hard to get an audience or connect with other producers and musicians.
4. It is almost insulting that people playing other peoples music can overrun the music category and have no issues but those making the music they are playing get no views. I understand that part of it is due to what people are seeking, but if there was a separate section for music production/creation more people would explore that category. It is very difficult to explore the music category because 90 percent of streams in that category are DJ'ing or Covers/instrumental covers of other songs.
5. If you take a look at the trending genre section of the music section, literally none of them are music PRODUCTION related. I believe there needs to be more extensive genre selection options for those MAKING music and not performing it. If someone is MAKING rap vs someone PERFORMING rap then I believe that should be a different category as they are two different processes and have two different types of viewers.
6. Last and MOST IMPORTANT is that music production and music performance are two EXTREMELY DIFFERENT THINGS just as editing a video and watching youtube are two different things. Or creating a video game and playing a video game are two different things. There are sections currently for Coders and Developers, as well as tons of other very niche categories but music producers, singer songwriters, etc are basically out of luck.
Please consider adding a Music Creation/Production section so that way the DJ community can have their area and we can have ours.
Thank you for your time,
Thank you! I was just thinking this and how IMPOSSIBLE it is to find anything other than DJing.
The main issue is there are so many people DJing, that if you want to see someone play music via an instrument it's almost impossible. And because there is such a majority of a group on an 'inclusive' section on twitch, it becomes non-inclusive through a group dominating on a shared space.
As a streaming musician, and someone who just enjoys watching musicians, it’s irritating sometimes scrolling through 20 DJs just to get to one musician. It would be nice to have separate categories for both
Simply having one "Music" category isn't not enough. As this area of the platform has gown, navigating though the music section is becoming increasingly more difficult to find the streamers/topics you want.
While I think there could be multiple more categories, I'd specifically request a "Synthesizer" category. While this may not be a popular choice in its current state, there are a large group of active users and streamers that are interested in exclusively synthesizer related music performance streams. We are on religiously every day and the main way we all go about finding new synthesizer performer streams is through word-of-mouth in chats. Trying to find a picture of a synthesizer in a sea of other music performance, production and dj streams is a difficult task.