Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Moderation

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Moderation

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

192 results found

1. It is a common occurrence for moderators to judge transgressions differently from each other, or from the broadcaster, and apply different timeout lengths. I feel moderators could benefit from having the timeout duration for the specified user not overridden by subsequent timeouts, but rather have a notice given to the mods specifying the remaining timeout for that person.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Mod Tools  ·  Admin →
  2. I sometimes accidentally delete the wrong message through the mod icon when the chat scrolls up one message right before I click. I think stopping the chat for a mod when he hovers a mod icon for a specific message would improve the modding experience.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Right now if you block a user and you moderate for a channel that said user is in, you will still see their messages. I have certain users blocked for a reason and me seeing them in chats that I moderate drives me away from the streams. The streamer does not want them banned, so that is not a viable option. I understand that as a moderator your job is to keep an eye on users, but other mods can help out regarding these instances.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mod Tools  ·  Admin →
  4. The current value for timeouts is 600 seconds. It would be helpful if this number could be adjusted in moderation setting. When the Timeout button is clicked in chat, the user would be on timeout for the adjusted amount of time. Example: In Moderator Settings, change 600 seconds to ten seconds. When the Timeout button is used on a person in chat, they will be on timeout for ten seconds.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I really like the new monitor and restrict tools introduced today for ban evasion detection! I did some testing of using monitor and restrict for general moderation, and there are three improvements that would dramatically improve their usability and impacts:

• Please add the ability to add a reason for monitoring a user's messages, the same way that /timeout and /ban have a [reason] field. This will let other mods know what kind of monitoring they should be doing. An example for how I would like to use this is: a user who is toeing the lines of rules in the…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. This would make it possible to pre-emptively ban someone with an offensive username.

It also means that when you get a large number of bots with similar usernames turn up, e.g. Troll1, Troll2, Troll3, etc., adding Troll* to the Banned Names list would stop all variations from posting. But also with an option to ban usernames containing certain terms.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Mod Tools  ·  Admin →
  7. Sometimes the chat experience is impaired by trolls continually and relentlessly creating/using additional alternative accounts to repeatedly circumvent any ban, return to chat, and continue spamming or harassing the channel.

I suggest that Twitch provide an additional set of moderation commands, capabilities, and information in the chat-related APIs and IRC interfaces to assist broadcasters and their channel bots to control abuse in these types of situations.

Some ideas for suggested channel Moderator Commands/Options to Add:

• "Approved" chatters list - A List/Hash table of unlimited size for any users manually approved by a moderator to chat plus a list of all…
    20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mod Tools  ·  Admin →
  8. Trolls use stream points to highlight their offensive messages. When a moderator bans them, their regular posts are deleted while the highlighted messages remain visible. The highlighted messages should be deleted as well.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mod Tools  ·  Admin →
  9. It makes cleaning up followbot raids and identifying suspicious accounts immediately so much easier. Half the time the bots stop viewing, so you can't pull them from active chat. Being able to click on the username from the Activity Log and ban the user directly is so much more straightforward.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The new "banned users cannot watch the stream" might be worth adding to the shield mode system.

So you throw shield mode on and then banned users auto enables if enabled in the shield mode configuration

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Gathering Interest  ·  Ana responded

Hi, thanks for your feedback!

This status is to let you know your idea has been reviewed. Your idea is open for voting/comments from other Twitch community members. This is a great time to share your idea with others. Learn more about status updates here.

---

For the community: If you like this idea, please vote on it and feel free to add on how it would help you in the comments.

11. The broadcaster should be able to see who made changes to their channel, even if they did not have their Twitch chat or mod view open when the action was taken.

These are moderator actions that should be auditable: such as turning on Slowmode or Subscribersonly, or Pausing a channel points redemption category, or Marking a redemption as Completed or Rejected.

Currently there seems no way to figure out for sure who was responsible for the change: if a moderator makes these changes when the streamer is offline and not connected to chat, Or if the information has scrolled off…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. For streamers and moderators, the ability to add highlighted notes to users' nicks to remember important information they once shared.
    Like gender, birthdays, pets, favorite things...
    I'm a costreamer with my husband and a moderator of his live and others and I really miss it.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to shadowban users where they are able to type in chat and see their message, but their message is not seen by anyone else but them.

This will help substantially in reducing cases of ban evading as shadowbanned users usually don’t realize they are banned (if they don’t look into it more, especially in larger channels) and at the same time it will not affect the streamer’s chat

Can be an ip shadowban across accounts. This would be such a helpful feature in preventing constant toxicity.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Would it be possible to create a tool that would allow mods/streamers to obtain KNOWN troublemaking accounts such as the recent string of hate raids and bots and then ban them in bulk as opposed to one at a time?

I moderate for several streamers and I've been trying my hardest to help support the more nervous ones who have been getting follows from suspicious accounts matching the ones I'm sure most of you are aware of. But going through and manually banning one at a time is extremely time consuming, especially considering there are so many of these accounts.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Currently, users can block whispers from strangers (which most seem to have enabled), where strangers are not "someone you follow, someone you subscribe to, one of your mods, or one of your editors".

It would be helpful if mods for "someone you follow or someone you subscribe to" were also included in this list but only be applicable if mods utilize the Quick Whisper button within Mod View. Limiting it to only when the Quick Whisper button is used would keep it from being abused outside of the stream.

This will allow mods to send warnings to users without calling…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. As a frequent user of Twitch chat, I would like to request a new feature that allows moderators to add slow mode to specific users instead of the entire chat. Currently, slow mode affects the entire chat, which can be frustrating for users who want to participate in the conversation at a faster pace.

The ability to add slow mode to specific users would be helpful in situations where a particular user is spamming the chat or posting inappropriate messages. By being able to add slow mode to individual users, moderators could prevent these users from continuing to disrupt the…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Have an option to remove timeout/ban history events in the User Profile view in the mod tool. Reason: Sometimes users get accidentally timed out when mods are using the mod buttons on messages and the chat scrolls and they mis-click the incorrect user. When this happens it shows in the timeout/ban history. Some creators use this information when they are thinking of promoting a viewer to VIP or even Mod and they see a timeout/ban and that may deter them. Plus, that user is put onto the channels sharded banned list even though it was an accidently ban.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Mod Tools  ·  Admin →
  18. Emote spam is a constant annoyance, it would be great for channels to have an option that blocks emotes in chat. There could also be an option where only channel emotes are allowed. A text-only mode or an emote blacklist would be excellent.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. That there is a setting where the moderators have to approve all links that are posted before it is sent. This could also be integrated into the defense mode and only activated when this is activated (as a setting like the rest in the mode).

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Sometimes viewers are accidently banned in a stream due to a mis-click by the streamer or moderator. They are normally quickly unbanned but the viewer will show up in other streams as "banned" to to the banned viewer sharing. If the original streamer who banned them unbans them within say 10 minutes it would be good if the viewer then dropped off the "shared banned" listing.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?