Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

DMCA

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

DMCA

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. When disputing claimed misuse of copyrighted music, there NEEDS to be a free text field to explain WHY I have a right to include the music I have. You cannot possibly create dropdowns including all the possible explanations, and the current three options are woefully inadequate. In particular, for a platform claiming to be welcoming to musician streamers, it is APPALLING that you fail to allow for performances by the streamer (in which the performance rights therefore belong to the streamer) of compositions which are either traditional or anonymous, or upon which the copyright has expired (in which therefore no…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hello! My question is, since Twitch have a Spotify integration/extension, why have it if we are going to get DMCA. We pay for the licence to stream music and pay the artists for their work buy buying a subscription. Why don't you work with labels and spotify to have it so if you like your spotify to twitch, any music played via the app is free from demonetisation and copyright free if we are showing that we have paid for said music to be streamed? Twitch soundtrack doesn't always work because sometimes streams need music on them in certain scenarios…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I have license to play music from Monstercat. I have a playlist with content creator tracks (no non-licensable tracks). My past 6 streams, I get muted audio. I know exactly what the muted audio is used for, which is muting "copyrighted songs". Which is true, but I pay license to play them. Now, I edit my streams, music still in my videos, and upload them on YouTube, but I don't get claimed there. This is all in Twitch's end. I hope this can be fixed, because I pay money to pay money so I don't get claimed, or muted audio,…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Put together a comprehensive list of games that could put streamers at risk of DMCA. Similar to how there is a banned list of games not allowed to play on Twitch (outdated). This DMCA list would need to be updated frequently.

Maybe also with a description of what could cause a strike in the game. Would allow for at risk games to still be streamed and promoted, but would allow streamers to be more prepared to mute if necessary.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Have an option to download and/or export the original unmuted version of the VOD, if the streamer wishes to export the unmuted version to YouTube or download the unmuted version to edit out the copyrighted music, so the streamer has an unmuted version for a highlight.

Another potential option is to have the same thing, but make it a tool on the Twitch website (like where the past broadcasts are stored). As in, having the streamer edit out unmuted parts, but make it so they're not just separate VODS- have the choice to merge them together.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dear Twitch Overlords and Emperors (and maybe Mr. Bezos himself),

My name is Rob and I hail from a band called Psychostick, and we've been active professionally since about 2005. We've gone through the gamut of the music business in our own way and have learned quite a bit about the inner workings of the industry.

The DCMA thing is something us artists respect and appreciate, however since this takedown drama started happening, I believe there's a simple (but probably not easy) solution to this problem that terrestrial radio stations have been abiding by since music became an "industry."

Bars,…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. You created an amazing tool to resolve 95% of DMCA issues and decided to lock it behind Soundtrack by Twitch?? Why? If you give us the ability to tie an application(s) (Example: chrome for spotify/youtube etc.., or even a media player for local audio) to the "remove from vod" obs plugin, there would be no music from anywhere (except from in games) in any vods. Why is the DMCA chaos not solved already with this? Seems like a MAJOR oversite or this is just a way for you to try and push your Soundtrack by Twitch software by holding this…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Twitch has become a lifeline for many streamers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, in particular club and mobile DJs whose only source of income has been cut off in recent months. Therefore, it is essential that streaming services like Twitch remain a viable outlet for music users, while providing fair compensation to songwriters, recording artists, and record labels.

Unfortunately, U.S. copyright law is still vastly out of touch within the marketplace for independent DJs, many of whom make little or no income from their online broadcasts. This certainly presents a unique challenge in the case of Twitch. DJs either run…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. With the wave of mass-deletion we have found that the methods for reviewing DMCA claims and taking appropriate action has been like trying to change a light bulb with no hands.

I propose:

Since all deleted content is held in archives, it should become viewable to only the streamer who can selectively re-publish content that does not have DMCA strikes. Furthermore, they can take action to mute content, appeal or delete the content totally.

Any content with a DMCA strike goes into the "hidden" directory that the creator can access. They will then have some options for how to handle…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hi,

My ideas are as follows and some probably already mentioned.

Firstly - I do acknowledge that playing copyrighted music is a risk taken on when it is played, whether it's in-game or nightbot/itunes/spotify or other media player.

In the past, VODs were muted with a red bar on the bottom of VODs to show where copyright-flagged audio was detected.
    I would advise going back to this and adding some sort of mouse-over tag so we can see what track/s were flagged and by whom so that it can be contested if necessary to ensure no abuse of the DMCA…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow creators to play music on stream even if not created by the user or having rights to it but are required to keep it a very low volume. I feel removing the ability for streamer to have background music of their, or viewers choice is taking away the personality of the streamer. For me the music I listen to describes the person I am the mood I am feeling and an over all setting for new and old viewers.I just don't want to have to play a game and not listen to my favorite songs as I hang out…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Apply the principle of presumption of innocence, as every respectable legal system does. Why, after a copyright claim, do you immediately take down videos or parts of the content or even ban the streames, thus automatically siding with the claimant? Youtube and other services doing this does not make it in any way right. Consider first giving the streamers a reasonable period to defend themselves, and only following on any action after the streamer has been heard and did not make a compelling case for themselves. This will have the benefit of not making you look like so much of…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The fact that copyright holders are sending DMCA strikes for people who are listening to music during their stream is absurd. It's commercially absurd. It's ethically absurd and its practically absurd.

First of all the behaviour by publishers is completely against their own interests and is completely ignorant of how people consume content on the internet. This isn't surprising given that these industries are essentially dominated by boomer dinosaurs who used to sell us CDs at 30 dollars a pop (30 dollars in the 90s).

Now we can access any song we want with a click of a button. Most…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I constantly get muted audio although I own a license for streaming those songs.
    When I appeal the muted audio it seems like nobody ever cares and unmutes it. And there's even no chance to upload a license to proof that I am allowed to play those songs in public.

Please Twitch, please finally fix this!
    1. Add an "Upload license buttton"
    2. Unmute muted audio when proven that the license is valid!

Especially with the current DMCA takedown situation in mind I truly believe more people would be willing to pay for licensed music to play if it wouldn't…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Seeming some songs on Spotify are blocked by Twitch due to copyright issues perhaps we could get an app or something where we can put a URL for a Spotify playlist and it checks wither a song would be blocked or not, this way we could tailor playlists to be free of copyright infringement but still suit the vibe and style of our streams. Sadly there is nothing we can check songs against at present so this would be a great way to work it.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A notification in the Creator Dashboard of how many strikes you have, any strikes you receive, and the ability to handle said strike.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. It strikes (pun not intended) me that there should be a way to provision a means to report plays/performances (and recordings via VODs) of third party music on stream for the purposes of avoiding DMCA strikes.

Streamers who are already in the music industry are highly likely to be affiliated with one or more reporting agencies in their regions, and most such agencies collect fees on behalf of overseas partners. In this day and age of service integration and automation, it seems logical that there should be a means to compile a post-stream report for an affiliated agency and submit…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. During the current situation of the pandemic removing DJs from crucial entertainment venues, more DJs have turned to Twitch to help with their financial crisis while most clubs and bars are closed, as well as keeping their performing art fresh.

While DMCA is still putting a tight grip on recorded music on stream, and DJs are currently doing everything they can to prevent full tracks being played during their sets, will DJing on Twitch still become accessible during this time? Also, what is the policy for music mixed and cut up on the fly?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Give streamers the ability to unlock additional channel emote slots for having an account in good standing for something like 90 days.

Incentives do wonders for changing habits and creating new routines.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?