Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

DMCA

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

DMCA

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. How about making a tool where we're able to link a music streaming platform (Pandora, spotify, SoundCloud) to our twitch.

Maybe you guys can find a license agreement where by having a paid account with the music platform and linking the two, we might be allowed to play music on stream. Maybe with a volume limit.

Perhaps a tool where we can play music from that does not get recorded on the VOD or clips. Kinda like a 2 track system where 1 is left out of the final mix.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The fact that copyright holders are sending DMCA strikes for people who are listening to music during their stream is absurd. It's commercially absurd. It's ethically absurd and its practically absurd.

First of all the behaviour by publishers is completely against their own interests and is completely ignorant of how people consume content on the internet. This isn't surprising given that these industries are essentially dominated by boomer dinosaurs who used to sell us CDs at 30 dollars a pop (30 dollars in the 90s).

Now we can access any song we want with a click of a button. Most…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow musicians who would like their music used on Twitch streams to post their links to a central forum on Twitch.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. if twitch had tools to promote the music on stream with links to the music well that would be better. Games that have copyright music in it could be listed on the twitch platform & the streamer could use the game tag so all the songs from the game is listed on the stream to buy.

with the case of the music getting pirated well artist and music companies ect will still at least get some of the revenue and the streamer could promote it more in their stream, the bigger the streamer, the more it sells. no need to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Currently, it is hopelessly impractical for streamers to do what they do best, entertain with back ground music filling the silence between moments when they game or interact, while the danger of blanket copyright strikes resulting in forced stream and VOD censoring exists. If twitch wants this to work effectively, they have to fight for it. This could mean hiring legal experts, and/or lobbyists to work to implement something similar to the Fair Use Act under US law in the long term, but in the mean time I've prepared a suggestion or two that should help the situation if implemented.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Have an option to download and/or export the original unmuted version of the VOD, if the streamer wishes to export the unmuted version to YouTube or download the unmuted version to edit out the copyrighted music, so the streamer has an unmuted version for a highlight.

Another potential option is to have the same thing, but make it a tool on the Twitch website (like where the past broadcasts are stored). As in, having the streamer edit out unmuted parts, but make it so they're not just separate VODS- have the choice to merge them together.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. A notification on the dashboard when we get a DMCA, in case the email gets caught in a filter, goes to an old account, or doesn't reach us for some other reason.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I'm offering to forfeit a small donation to the respected record companies in exchange to play music. I currently don't have any strikes, and am willing to negotiate a fair charge to be able to play a certain genre of music.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A notification in the Creator Dashboard of how many strikes you have, any strikes you receive, and the ability to handle said strike.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. You could create a tool to report a copyright claim. This tool would send the id or url (I don't know how you handle that) in order for Twitch to check if the claim is legit and if it is, you can send the notification to the streamer using the id/url of the claimed VOD or clip. By doing that, the streamer will know exactly which VOD/clip has been reported and can act accordingly given the situation.
    That is my idea and I think it could be very useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Evidence of the situation I describe will be at the end of this description.

Twitch streamers are being DMCA'd despite deleting all of their old VODs and clips that they were told to delete. For those that aren't aware, that media never actually got deleted, just taken off of Twitch. Every old VOD and clip that has ever existed (yes that includes banned streamers) are still stored on a server that Twitch owns.

Now you may be wondering why this is an issue, and more importantly, why is this only an issue now? Well here's the thing: The server hosting…

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. In your email you state

"For your stream archives (VODs and Clips), right now your only options, if you think they contain unauthorized music, is to either go through them one by one, or, for Clips, use the “delete all” tool we’ve provided."

This is utter ********.

When a streamer is alleged to have violated anything, that allegation should clearly refer to the video that violates, along with timestamps of the time ranges that violate.

Then, the infringing content can be taken down if it is deemed to violate DMCA.

You cannot expect that a streamer should pre-emptively go one…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I have not got a strike on me, but I did have vods automatically muted by using NCS playlists. Though, in the email sent today, referencing your BLOG, you indicate this is a safe source, which it is. So why does it get muted?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. some of us are already bound by licensing agreements under entities such as the Canadian org. SOCAN

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I stream my own music, 100% created by me. Many times, this includes improvised material created on the spot - so it would never be trackable via any digital rights system. Twitch gives no guidelines about this, but should call out specific rules to be sure artists like myself are not wrongly accused of a violation.

I am an ASCAP member of 30+ years, but that does nothing to help me in these cases. Material created in an improv context can not go through the same checks and balances as pre-recorded material released via album or download. Twitch needs to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Months ago, I filed for an appeal on another twitch channel I run and I never got a response. There’s no way for me to contact about being updated. Also, when filing the appeal, there was no way for me to attach proof that I had permission from the artist to use their song. So, attachments when filing an appeal needs to be a thing. And again, I never heard back so that part of the one video is still muted despite appeal being filed months ago and having the artist’s permission in writing

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. With the wave of mass-deletion we have found that the methods for reviewing DMCA claims and taking appropriate action has been like trying to change a light bulb with no hands.

I propose:

Since all deleted content is held in archives, it should become viewable to only the streamer who can selectively re-publish content that does not have DMCA strikes. Furthermore, they can take action to mute content, appeal or delete the content totally.

Any content with a DMCA strike goes into the "hidden" directory that the creator can access. They will then have some options for how to handle…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Twitch should find a way to reimburse or provide recompense for the unfair and extremely short timeframe to deal with their VODs. Many streamers lost years of content because they simply didn't have time to download and archive their VODs, which is absolutely unacceptable in this industry. Twitch has acknowledged that they screwed up, so let's hear them state what their plans are for making it right to those negatively affected.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I appreciate that copyright exists and I as a creator need to respect those rules however I believe music is an integral part of my streams and my current growth on twitch. I have no problem removing and replacing some songs in my playlist however there has been a tremendous amount of inconsistency when it comes to what parts of my streams are being muted.

I would love a way of knowing which songs and why are getting copyrighted so I have a chance to learn from the problems and not just be told I'm doing something wrong.

I appreciate…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. More details are SPECIFICALLY needed for NO COPYRIGHT SOUNDTRACKS / sounds during streams. A lot of my personal archives and streams get flagged when using songs that have been listed on sources as COPYRIGHT FREE and still get flagged. The same goes for MULTIPLE other channels and something needs to be outlined for this proccess because somewhere, someone is doing something wrong.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?