Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

DMCA

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

DMCA

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

1. Put together a comprehensive list of games that could put streamers at risk of DMCA. Similar to how there is a banned list of games not allowed to play on Twitch (outdated). This DMCA list would need to be updated frequently.

Maybe also with a description of what could cause a strike in the game. Would allow for at risk games to still be streamed and promoted, but would allow streamers to be more prepared to mute if necessary.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. With the wave of mass-deletion we have found that the methods for reviewing DMCA claims and taking appropriate action has been like trying to change a light bulb with no hands.

I propose:

Since all deleted content is held in archives, it should become viewable to only the streamer who can selectively re-publish content that does not have DMCA strikes. Furthermore, they can take action to mute content, appeal or delete the content totally.

Any content with a DMCA strike goes into the "hidden" directory that the creator can access. They will then have some options for how to handle…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Playing games with in-game music. (no external sound or music, all in-game) Please explain copyright implications of in-game music and the concept that all games are copyright material. How is in-game music different from the intellectual property of the actual game being shared publicly?

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Twitch has become a lifeline for many streamers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, in particular club and mobile DJs whose only source of income has been cut off in recent months. Therefore, it is essential that streaming services like Twitch remain a viable outlet for music users, while providing fair compensation to songwriters, recording artists, and record labels.

Unfortunately, U.S. copyright law is still vastly out of touch within the marketplace for independent DJs, many of whom make little or no income from their online broadcasts. This certainly presents a unique challenge in the case of Twitch. DJs either run…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Hi,

My ideas are as follows and some probably already mentioned.

Firstly - I do acknowledge that playing copyrighted music is a risk taken on when it is played, whether it's in-game or nightbot/itunes/spotify or other media player.

In the past, VODs were muted with a red bar on the bottom of VODs to show where copyright-flagged audio was detected.
    I would advise going back to this and adding some sort of mouse-over tag so we can see what track/s were flagged and by whom so that it can be contested if necessary to ensure no abuse of the DMCA…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I just got my VOD muted...for using Twitch Soundtrack. Two separate songs were marked as unlicensed. This is ridiculous, and needs to be changed. How can Twitch promote Twitch Soundtrack as 'the solution' for DMCA takedowns and as a Spotify alternative, if it's causing the exact same issues as any other music platform?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. So when I am streaming music from and channel titled... wait for it... NOCOPYRIGHTSOUNDS, why the **** does every single one of my streams have at least 4 muted segments???

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When disputing claimed misuse of copyrighted music, there NEEDS to be a free text field to explain WHY I have a right to include the music I have. You cannot possibly create dropdowns including all the possible explanations, and the current three options are woefully inadequate. In particular, for a platform claiming to be welcoming to musician streamers, it is APPALLING that you fail to allow for performances by the streamer (in which the performance rights therefore belong to the streamer) of compositions which are either traditional or anonymous, or upon which the copyright has expired (in which therefore no…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The fact that copyright holders are sending DMCA strikes for people who are listening to music during their stream is absurd. It's commercially absurd. It's ethically absurd and its practically absurd.

First of all the behaviour by publishers is completely against their own interests and is completely ignorant of how people consume content on the internet. This isn't surprising given that these industries are essentially dominated by boomer dinosaurs who used to sell us CDs at 30 dollars a pop (30 dollars in the 90s).

Now we can access any song we want with a click of a button. Most…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. During the current situation of the pandemic removing DJs from crucial entertainment venues, more DJs have turned to Twitch to help with their financial crisis while most clubs and bars are closed, as well as keeping their performing art fresh.

While DMCA is still putting a tight grip on recorded music on stream, and DJs are currently doing everything they can to prevent full tracks being played during their sets, will DJing on Twitch still become accessible during this time? Also, what is the policy for music mixed and cut up on the fly?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Apply the principle of presumption of innocence, as every respectable legal system does. Why, after a copyright claim, do you immediately take down videos or parts of the content or even ban the streames, thus automatically siding with the claimant? Youtube and other services doing this does not make it in any way right. Consider first giving the streamers a reasonable period to defend themselves, and only following on any action after the streamer has been heard and did not make a compelling case for themselves. This will have the benefit of not making you look like so much of…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. You need to implement a faster, more direct way which also allows for a better detailed description from the accused user as your drop down box doesnt cut it. Also how do your BOTS not know what tracks ARE royalty free, i am sick and tired of having my audio muted because of this and then never being unmuted. Given the fact i also pay for Premium, to make sure i get better quality tracks that are 100% DMCA approved.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Can you please just pay the labels for licensing already? This is getting really old. The artists want us to play their music.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I get it...RIAA is aggressive. However, if ContentID can automatically tag and flag a song by whistling the notes, then I would suggest posting a link automatically to "Purchase this song now on iTUNES, Google Play, Amazon, or listen now on Spotify" over muting a stream.

But I know you don't argue with lawyers, you just do it or get sued with them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Create a database of commonly struck games that links with Game library on the dashboard. Then have a warning that displays when a streamer changes category to a game that is commonly struck by the game's (or music creator's) rights holder(s) so a streamer is aware and ready to deal action AFTER or make plans before.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I have license to play music from Monstercat. I have a playlist with content creator tracks (no non-licensable tracks). My past 6 streams, I get muted audio. I know exactly what the muted audio is used for, which is muting "copyrighted songs". Which is true, but I pay license to play them. Now, I edit my streams, music still in my videos, and upload them on YouTube, but I don't get claimed there. This is all in Twitch's end. I hope this can be fixed, because I pay money to pay money so I don't get claimed, or muted audio,…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. More details are SPECIFICALLY needed for NO COPYRIGHT SOUNDTRACKS / sounds during streams. A lot of my personal archives and streams get flagged when using songs that have been listed on sources as COPYRIGHT FREE and still get flagged. The same goes for MULTIPLE other channels and something needs to be outlined for this proccess because somewhere, someone is doing something wrong.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  DMCA Strikes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Hey Twitch i have a question for you. Since DMCA as taken advantage like others and including myself that uses Twitch Soundtrack. Should Twitch add a feature where broadcasters can sign up for music license to play that music on the stream. I think this great idea for Twitch! Thanks being platform throughout my two years streaming!
    Twitch Affliate,
    NoahTheGamer808tv

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The whole problem with public performance rights comes from the fact that you're a venue and aren't paying PROs. At the same time, I feel like you're really hurting musicians much more than game-streamers. Please pay PROs like you're required to do. This does not affect VODs or Clips, because that is sync licensing. However, for DJs and other performers, you are very much breaking the law by not having a license with one (or multiple) of the PROs. No wonder the PROs and labels are coming after you, if you won't pay your dues. In the same manner, it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?