How can we improve game mods and CurseForge?

More modloader support across curse without being required to use forge.

Options to chose between modloaders and supported mods/modpacks such as FabricAPI, liteloader, rift and so on.

Each modloader having it's own mods and modpack area as to not mix them up causing compatibility issues without including Forge as we are required to use at the moment (since that has been the only modloader on curse for a long time now)

58 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ProxyNeko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Admindbrew (Admin, Twitch) responded  · 

Thank you for the suggestion, we are looking into this. Please add any additional details that you think would be helpful in the comments! We are Listening!

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • B0undarybreaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that the new dashboard has proved is beyond necessary. Twitch Launcher downloads account for 90-95% of most mods' downloads, so preventing access to Fabric through the Twitch launcher means that people who target Fabric are screwed out of getting almost 19 out of every 20 Curse points they should be.

• Raph Hennessy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be amazing if you could add at least Fabric support to Curse, since the main thing limiting its popularity at the moment is it's incompatibility with the Twitch launcher.

• Sora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any Updates about this? with Forge 1.13 and 1.14 Releasing Soon. I would love to know the direction CF plans to take with this.

• Ardentcrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be helpful if each area would be split in to client side mod, server side mod and install on both.

• Robert Seifert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would build this out the same as your java version or mc version selector system. Then do a display filter to reduce by modloader. This way if a mod can work on several loaders it will show on several. Might want to also filter downloads per project as well.

• p455w0rd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just need a method beyond the current subcategory. We need a new option for individual jars. I have Fence Jumper for both Forge and Fabric now, but under the same project. What is limiting Fabric atm is Curse/Twitch Desktop. If a pack dev were to make a pack, they should be able to specify the loader, and then be able to choose mods available on that loader. I completely skipped Rift as I saw the issues with it. Fabric is actually viable, and imo, MUCH better than Forge to dev for. There is no one central person everything has to pass through and they are really good at staying up-to-date with the latest snapshots, which gives us mod devs time to test and polish our projects before the official MC version drops. This allows us to have true testers before dumping buggy projects on the community. So, back to what I was saying: We NEED this to be a "per jar" option since I'll likely be maintaining projects for both loaders for the foreseeable future. This issue would/will be exacerbated if/when Forge releases for 1.14, where (with the current setup), it will appear on Twitch Desktop like there is an update available for a Forge mod. Then the user gets a crash, and us devs suffer the false reports.

• ProxyNeko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also be helped by being able to mark what loader our mod is compatible with on a per mc and mod version basis I guess that way we can upload one build as say mod-3.8.2-1.12.2 and have that tagged as fabric and the same version on the forge branch could be tagged as forge.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would prefer all loaders/mod frameworks to be separate categories with ability for mods to be listed in multiple categories.

Some mods might be compatible with both Forge and Fabric, for example, while others might support only one.

Listing mods in multiple categories prevents confusion about what works with what without forcing mod publishers to create duplicate entries.

It would be nice to see some form of category to help find Fabric only mods when this is implemented

As far as I'm aware none of the above are compatible with each other but I can't test that right now, might be best to ask Fabric devs in discord

• Robert Seifert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I say we only split out loaders that are not compatible with forge. Any loader that can be installed on its on or with forge should just be included with forge mods. Though I think we should have some metadata on the page that notes it requires a different loader than forge.

I agree up but I can't edit it out now. At the time I was trying not to be bias but Rift is a huge nono from me but given I only know four of them that was my second issue. Rift personally should have shut down by now though.

• UpcraftLP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tbh rift is 1. pretty much dead and 2. has had legal issues in the past, imo it should rather not be included

Feedback and Knowledge Base