Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Video Performance

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Video Performance

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

183 results found

1. We all know that AVC has issues with efficiency an HEVC is basically dead.
    A more modern codec would not only be great for streamers and high definition content, it would also potentially reduce the load on the servers.

Benefits with AV1:
    - It's open source so no license costs like HEVC
    - It's much more efficient than AVC and even HEVC

Benefits of Opus:
    - Basically the same as AV1

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When tabbing out, there is a "feature" to reduce resolution, but causes the stream to stutter, pause, and skip around when coming back to normal when the video is tabbed out, or in the background. Please allow us to turn off this "feature" tabbing out to do moderation, or check on something then missing something that happened, like an alert, or action in the game is a terrible "feature" when the stream tries to catch up.

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I've been uploading old vods for the purpose of vodcasting on a channel I'm editor for for the last week, and long muted sections have been a recurring problem. It takes hours to upload and process a vod, just to find out that long sections are muted and there's nothing I can do about them at vodcast time.

Some suggestions
    1. When vods are vodcasted, play them unmuted (since they aren't archived anyway and are essentially canned live broadcasts)
    2. Allow a way to quickly remove muted sections from a vod
    3. Provide editors the ability to fast-forward through vods…

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  Kevin Pan responded

Agreed that the muting experience is not ideal right now. We will look into this, but lots of things to build and improve for Twitch VODs.

4. I have a chrome extension installed that allows me to change the speed of any video I watch. Due to this, I can always see the speed of videos in the top left corner. I've noticed that any time a stream I'm watching lags or I fall too far behind live, Twitch will automatically change the speed of the stream from 1x to 1.03x speed. I believe this is a good idea and the change in speed is small enough to not affect the video. However, this speed change DOES affect the audio and in the case of music streams,…

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. This issue has been going on for months now.

Certain streams have been buffering until they are 8 - 10 seconds behind.
    It usually buffers 2 - 3 times, until the stream is 8 seconds behind, and then it runs with no more buffering.
    At first I thought it was just random streams, but after I posted about the issue on Reddit, someone pointed out that it's only happening on stream with less than ~100 viewers. Once a stream gets over 100 - 150 viewers, there's no more buffering.
    I usually watch stream with lower viewercounts, and interacting with the…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Volume normalization option across streamers. Some streamers just have a way louder setup than others.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Improve servers over big streamings events.

This is just logical, but it is quite frustrating that the platform literally looks the other way. I'm talking here about Spain particularily. Whenever some of the biggest streamers make a special streaming, or an event, the rest of the platform falls. And I mean all of it. The rest of streamers won't even have enough bandwidth to stream themselves, which honestly is insulting given how much benefits the platform registers over time. Fortify your servers or die trying, because this happens now more than ever, the rate is increasing and you are disabling…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Servers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Do NOT introduce P2P (peer to peer)!
    Do NOT continue with your testing of this in Korea or ANYWHERE!
    You will expose our IP Address's!
    You will expose us ALL to being hacked!
    You can not be this irresponsible!
    If you use P2P you will be putting EVERYONE at risk!
    This will be the end of Twitch.
    It only takes one successful hack!

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Servers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Prevents unnecessary blur from the filtering applied when resizing the video. Great for retro game streamers using integer scaling.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. You could consider separating the video quality settings from audio quality settings, since audio quality is far more important than video for some content.
    There are Music and Performance streams and such where we're interested in listening to the sound more that looking at text / faces / fine details.

• New show hosts frequently receive advice to invest in buying better audio equipment to improve audio quality before looking to buy more expensive cameras. This is because people will tolerate bad video in a show much more than bad audio (although 160p is still kinda bad).

• I've listened to several…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Hi!
    I'm a small streamer from EU speaking english only. This means my viewers are from many different countries and sadly some countries have poor internet.
    I've had many complains in my chat about the lack of options for video-quality, since it is laggy and loading alot for my viewers with poor internet performance.

My suggestion is that atleast ONE low-quality option should be available beside the source-quality. This would satisfy many viewers and also make it easier/more optimal to keep the viewers at the channel of a small streamer.
    What happens is that the viewer will simply go to…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We need serious attention done to this error which is causing problems for so many small-time streamers who do not have the resources or knowledge to find out why this error appears. This is one of the most persistent and problematic errors that MUST be addressed by Twitch in a real SERIOUS way!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Up the bitrate Twitch. We have 4k60 consoles and PCs that can run 4k120, theres zero reason why bandwidth should be limited by anything other than the streamer's ISP. If I have 1GBPS, I should be able to stream a 65000KBPS stream in 4k, practically eliminating artifacts. In addition, transcoding should be a ubiquitous feature. This would only serve to bring actual high quality content to anyone who has the desire to consume it. These artificial limitations are absurd, especially since YouTube has made massive endroads here.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please please give us either more widely available transcoding, or an audio only mode across all devices(aka pc&mac)

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Twitch transcoding has a few issues. It's not always available (especially to non-partners), and it is of low quality (which is understandable considering the number of streams Twitch has to provide this service for).

After the recent support of multiple audio streams (for VoD vs. live audio) I propose Twitch add support for sending multiple video streams on the mux to Twitch. This improves multiple issues:

• No requirement for streams to have, or be provided, transcoding options from Twitch's side
    • Higher quality viewing options for the client (broadcaster encoded streams of higher quality)
    • Reduced load on Twitch's transcoding servers
    • Broadcaster…
    13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The video player will buffer causing a long "Latency To Broadcaster" when the streamer has intermittent connectivity issues. For desktop streamers this is usually not a problem. This is a nuisance for viewers watching IRL streamers who are streaming on less reliable mobile connections. Who wants to watch a stream where the "Latency To Broadcaster" is over 30s? or even 10s?

I have to open the "Video Stats" menu with every stream I watch to keep an eye on the "Latency To Broadcaster" to make sure I'm not too far behind the live stream. Nothing wrong with my internet connection.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1080p in 2023 is a tad dated given the advancement in panel resolution standards and accessibility, coupled with the widespread availability high bandwidth internet connectivity - An option to stream at 1440p 60fps would be great. It'll be playable and crisp on a 4k display without looking too grainy, and streams will be most crisp for all using 1440p displays (I don't have any 1080p displays and my viewing experience is unimpressive as this doesn't upscale as well). Details and clarity are important when viewing competitive esports content.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Disable video and only listen like mobile works

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. As much as every other platform not just Twitch the lack of information for those who stream at other aspect ratios rather than 16:9 is lacking to non-existing.

It would be nice to have more support for those content creators who do not follow the standard.

The best example would be in my case is when streaming at 1080p my stream width is 2560 and not 1920.
    This effect the stream in ways that sometimes it shows and sometimes it's just a black screen (Reported by viewers)

Better support for other aspect ratios rather than 16:9
    Better docs to support…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. During a live stream, could a viewer please choose any of the video statistics under Settings > Advanced > Video Stats, and have only that statistic pinned somewhere on the screen? In my mind it would show up like a running FPS counter in a video game, without having to keep the entire blocky chunk of Video Stats cutting off a huge section of the stream's video (and sometimes the streamer's webcam). For example I find myself constantly checking the "Latency to broadcaster" statistic whenever I watch any stream. I always want to know the delay between what I see…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?