Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Chat

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Chat

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There have been many times where a follower in chat has asked to be called a certain name, other than their Twitch username. If there is a way that the streamer can assign a nickname to a person in chat, that only the streamer can see, I think that would be helpful and a way to connect even better with regular viewers.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. It would be very helpful to have the current hidden character limit shown just like on twitter or similar websites, and not be able to send the messages when they are too long, instead of giving us the illusion to have sent them successfully when it is not actually the case. Both in chat and whispers.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. It's too easy to create an account so once a user reports a bot account the staff bans them, they get a new IP and are ready to go again.

If you implement a shadowbanning system where their messages appear in chat but not to other users then that means that staff only have to ban the user once as they will not make a new account. It would be like a global ignore feature except the person being banned will not know that they have been ignored by every user. This would make the staffs job so much easier…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. It would be great if a stream team could upload a chat badge for streamers in that team.

• Showing the badge Twitch-wide, or just in the stream chats of that stream team's members, is a choice to be made.
    • If only that stream team's members' chats, it could be a generic badge, or a custom one uploaded by the team's founder. If it was Twitch-wide, it'd need to be a custom one.

This would be great for repping a stream team, and building a greater sense of team spirit. Chat bots could potentially also use these badges to…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I am seeing, Bot Follows, Bot Hosts and Bot Viewers. I really don't care about the Bot - Viewers - but the Follows and Hosts are creating false hopes and damaging the New Streamer vibe for those wanting to acquire new viewers with their talent/personality/gaming etc. I think some or maybe more of us would Agree that this would be great if we could reduce the number of bots by implementing some sort of identifier or a bot blocker that could be added to ones streams/channel.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When watching popular channels, the chat is often a wall of emote spam not saying anything, and any 'actual' chat messages disappear too fast to read. It would be very useful to hide any messages that are just repeated emotes.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. This could be a customizeable badge that only shows up locally (other users cant see it). There are a few ways this can be useful such as:

1. Being able to mark friends so you can see if they are chatting in the same room as you.

2. Tagging yourself so your own messages can be seen easier in screenshots.

3. Tagging the person you are chatting with in a busy channel so you can easily see their messages before they get buried under lines of spam. (Ablility to make it temporary maybe)

If you need to you can have it saved as…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Good afternoon everyone!

I think it would be a neat feature for users to earn a chat badge for a specific amount of the time that they have been on Twitch.

In my opinion, a 5 year badge would be appropriate for this feature (i.e. If I created my account in 2011, I would earn a badge in 2016).

This would also be a great way of saying thank you to those who have been using the website for a while and motivate those to remain on Twitch.

Users should also be able to enable/disable the badge in their settings…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• *italic text*,
    • **bold text**,
    • `Discord-style inline code` (greetings!),
    • \*escaped, non-italic text\*,
    • \n, new-line (otherwise CTRL+Enter); maybe only allowed for verified bots,
    • etc.

It would be really cool to have. As a streamer and bot dev, the first example that comes to mind might be:

Wrong usage. `!help <topic>` to show help about a specific topic or command.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Making it so banning will remove the persons follow. Maybe make it so if they have been banned for over 30 minutes it auto removes the follow and blocks them from following again. Maybe also putting a little notification that shows up in their notifications that they have been removed from following ( username ) due to a recent ban in that stream. Then it would have a timer with the amount of time left before they can ask for an unban request and if accepted regains their follow age.

Thanks in advance for looking at this , LinoYeen

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. A streamer can have connection issues and can reconnect in a minute or so. This works on stream, but in VODs it causes an issue with the timing with chat and the VOD. This causes the chat to be delayed by the amount of time the connection was lost. This leaves chat's response to be delayed which becomes annoying if the disconnect was at the beginning of a nine hour stream. I believe a solution would be able to have the chat's playback separate from the VOD's playback. This allows the user to adjust the chat's response time in order…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. It would be helpful for using Twitch in a portrait mode to allow chat to occupy the bottom of the screen. Often while using Twitch I like to snap the window to half of the display, and use the other half for other tasks.

Right now I have to pop-out the chat, which is a little clunky.

In addition, it would be handy if the divide between the video and the chat was resizeable, so I could make chat bigger or smaller, and have the video automatically resize.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I've been in several streams now where I see people appear in the userlist that I know and say hello to them and have the streamer warn me about not calling out users. I would love it if there was an option to be invisible to everyone until you say something in chat! That way you can still read chat but not be disturbed until you choose to let your presence be known. :)

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Chatlist  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Instead of having to post hyperlinks in chat that vary in character length/size; it would be great if hyperlinks could be used as markdown text in chat similar to panels. Hovering over links could be used as well here to display to the user which website the link leads to. This would be very useful for chat bots plus broadcasters and moderators could restrict markdown to themselves and/or view full links in chat instead to minimize scam or inappropriate links to other websites.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I’m native Japanese speaker, and like to watch English streams. I watched some streamers who have many fans, so I know that they have put command in Nightbot about language spoken in chat. They ask chat to speak English.
    I can understand why they asking that. Various languages spoken in chat which they can’t understand may bother them.
    So the mods usually delete the messages which are not English whatever the messages mean. Even the messages are not bad comment, it get deleted because the mods don’t care what it means. One English comment said “not English comments are same…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. For example: After cheering 1000 bits, a user has the option to show a 1 bit, 100 bits or 1000 bits badge.

Similarly, if possible, it would be great if something similar could be done with sub badges. This would mainly be for color-matching purposes with other badges and/or the nick color.

The hover-over could still show the total amount of subbed months as it does now.

As for the customization menu: this could possibly be combined with other suggestions to allow people to choose to show their Founder badge, on a per-channel basis.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. While I really like the Chat Replies, I think that I agree with the comments in https://twitch.uservoice.com/forums/310201-chat-messaging/suggestions/41117761-ability-to-turn-off-chat-reply-threads-feature saying that it can become really confusing and hard to moderate.

I think that in addition to that feature, there should be another option to limit Chat Replies to only the streamer / moderators as this would be extremely valuable in cases where there are Q&A sessions or where streamers want their moderation team to collate responses and maintain context of the response.

Thanks again, Twitch Team!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Chat Replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Some streamers have so much flooding/spam/trash in their chat that it slows down the browser and computer to the point it freezes.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?