Add the ability to tag messages. Twitch could feature some default tags, then allow the streamer and mods to feature other tags. They can be permanent or temporarily featured. Everyone can filter chat in various ways,
The main reason why I want this is because massive streamers like xQc have hundreds of comments every second. You can never hold an actual conversation or ask a question there.
These tags are basically an alternative to an earlier idea I had, which is to introduce different channels, like you have in discord for example. This way you can categorize everything and split that massive stream of messages into various smaller ones where everyone is talking about similar/the same things.
Problems this could solve:
- Spam overtaking chat (you could force users to add the spam tag, and if they don't, mods could ban them or permanently enable that tag for them).
- Pronouns (Everyone who wants to, can add tags that address their pronouns).
- Message threads (Every message can have a random internal tag that will represent a thread. Replies can then add that tag to form a reply to that message).
- Account verification (Some tags could be automatic, meaning the user has no control over it but instead it is controlled by a 3rd party. Tag permissions, so to speak).
- Spoiler tagging (With spoiler tag).
- Pinned messaging (Mod-controlled "pinned" tag).
- Twitch censoring (This way, you could ban words and censor people, but not force everyone to abide by your standards. This also makes it clear to advertisers and such what side you're on, without turning down freedom of speech. Best of both worlds.).
It also provides some new fancy ways of dealing with things:
- Messages containing URLs, NSFW stuff or things that don't follow channel guidelines in other ways can be tagged so that people can just filter them out instead of having them be banned. This is of course, entirely up to how the channel wants to handle this.
- Subscribers and moderators can be automatically tagged as such, removing the need of the image prefixes and replacing them with a more generic and customizable system.
- Because mods can give users tags, they can also create new roles like 'trusted'.
- Add a random, unique tag to every message, that is hidden by default.
- Can be used to reply to a message and thus start a thread.
Streamer/mod side features:
- Disable tags in their chat altogether to provide the current twitch experience.
- Add tags to messages.
- Add permanent/temporary tags to messages from specific users.
Client-side features (no server costs):
- Disable tags altogether.
- For the unique message tags:
- Add a simple toggle button to show or hide such a thread
- Add another quick-access option to hide all replies to threads
- Add a "More info" button on a message so people can see all info about it and even share the message directly with others.
- Add censoring rules (meaning messages will show if you click them once)
- Add hiding rules (meaning messages won't be shown)
- Add highlighting rules (meaning messages will pop out more)
- Add tag hiding rules (To hide some tags, not users)
Client-side advanced features:
- Have tagging settings per stream and for your entire account. Also make them transferrable (Export/import to a text representation like base64 or text that makes actual sense)
- Add "virtual tags" which will be added on the client-side to messages that have either all of, or one of a set of tags. This will allow users to set up very powerful filtering rules. They can also be used to create aliases that replace longer tags.
Ideas for Twitch Featured Tags
Verified, 18+, Twitch-Approved (for messages that don't include words banned by twitch)
That's it for now, I will keep adding to these lists when I come up with new ideas or find good ones in your replies.
Twitch, if you're a fan of this idea, I'm very down to join your team and try to work on an implementation. I have some ideas in mind already for how to implement this and I'm actually really looking for a job.