Adding pronoun information to chat
For people who are trans and/or non-binary, letting streamers know your pronouns in chat so that your gendered correctly can either be awkward or difficult. An option for people to add their pronouns in brackets beside their usernames or in their profile cards in chat might help to let the streamer and/or chat know if a user feels it's important.
This is amazing and would make it so much easier!!! I’d absolutely love this for my non-binary friends especially. This is a great simple solution. People are already doing it in their email signatures! Please do this twitch
They/Them, She/Her, He/Him would be so much appreciated <3 and it can make a world of difference
I really love the parentheses version and have been talking about this constantly for so long... this would be so nice.
There is no solid reason that in 2020 we do not have pronoun badges on Twitch!
Viewers and streamers alike would benefit tremendously. Viewers can relax knowing they will be far less likely to be misgendered by other viewers or the streamer. Streamers can seamlessly glance to the left of the chatters' name, especially seeing as usernames can be unclear.
Everyone from new strangers to valuable members of the community could enjoy this feature.
Better Visibility + Better Connections = Better Community.
Summary after getting feedback:
- option in the user settings (for badges/ username colour)
- pronouns showing up next to the username in chat in parentheses
- pronouns have to be localised, just as Twitch's layout. Meaning: depending on your location/language settings, it shows the user's pronouns in your language, even if the streamer you watch and your fellow chatter are from somewhere else. (maybe default to English settings if the pronouns aren't yet available in said location)
I love it! I think the parentheses version is the easiest as well.
I really like the parentheses version of it. Pronouns next to the chatters name.
IchBins_SN (he/him): Morning. o/
i love this idea!! i started a streaming channel that's specifically welcoming to marginalized groups (and allies!) and being able to have people display their pronouns would make it even more welcoming, i think. c:
I wish Twitch had a feature which let you set your pronouns to appear in chat.
People who have set their pronouns will have them appear next to their name in chat.
The chatter sets their pronouns in the badge-set up.
Big question is implementation.
- hovering over username will show it?
- or another line below or next to the username to say it?
- or are the gender specific signs enough?
The originator of that idea already made a quick version of the version that would show pronouns next to the chatter's username