Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Chat

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Chat

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

22 results found

1. The chat replies feature may be cool for some specific reasons, but most of the time is not helpful. The thread it creates is also hard to see compared to normal chat messages. It would be nice to be able to toggle this feature on or off. Similar to how you can turn off nigh mode

517 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

41 comments  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Relevant Update  ·  Ana responded

We have heard the feedback in this idea & its comments and reworked chat replies  to reduce noise. By allowing users to reply directly to a specific message in a thread, only the user being responded to will be @'ed, rather than the user whose comment initiated the thread. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

2. Completely get rid of the chat replies/thread feature and end the experiment.

291 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please get some community feedback on how this should be added, modifications to chat greatly impact every community.

This idea makes sense, and I welcome and encourage it. This will be useful for mods and broadcasters to easily show they've responded to a question or concern, group bot replies and overall improve the chat experience, but its current implementation is messy. Consider reviewing the user experience that this holds. Although early and only a snippet of what the FrankerFaceZ maintainer has done, here is a prime example of a much better integration you could have:
    https://twitter.com/SirStendec/status/1293255682070913027

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When replying to users, an individual is required to remove their hand from the keyboard to the mouse to click on the message of the user.
    For a smoother replying experience, more in-line with the current practice of using '@', I would suggest offering '@@[user]' to reply to the thread containing the last message of that user. If there is no last message, this would default to '@' behaviour.
    This update would improve accessibility for users that have difficulty using a mouse and also facilitates ease-of-use for those without accessibility requirements. Overall I believe this would improve the utility of,…

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. If you want to make it easier for users to follow a conversation (which is a good idea, even if this implementation seems messy), let their @ mentions be a separate tab that they can click into and see, rather than cluttering the main chat experience.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Making the chat not lag so you don’t post something randomly in chat and so you can see the chat in real time instead of having to refresh the app because chat gets stuck causing you to miss out on replies and other comments

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Replies  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. While I really like the Chat Replies, I think that I agree with the comments in https://twitch.uservoice.com/forums/310201-chat-messaging/suggestions/41117761-ability-to-turn-off-chat-reply-threads-feature saying that it can become really confusing and hard to moderate.

I think that in addition to that feature, there should be another option to limit Chat Replies to only the streamer / moderators as this would be extremely valuable in cases where there are Q&A sessions or where streamers want their moderation team to collate responses and maintain context of the response.

Thanks again, Twitch Team!

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Blocked users should be hidden when others reply to the blocked user.

Instead of the chat showing "User reply to user2", it should be "User reply to blocked" or "User reply to blocked (click to show)"

As this would be more beneficial to the user who doesn't want to see the other user who is blocked from showing in chat completely.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Blocked peoples' messages not showing in chat is very ideal. However, when other people reply to them with the new feature, I can see their messages. I would like to not see their messages at all. (It doesn't matter if I don't click on the thread because it shows a preview.)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can you please make replies in mobiles, it would really be easier to use twitch and easier to talk in chat because i ha e been really struggling on who’s talking to me in chat because when you reply in a computer it doesn’t show in mobile. so can you please add replies in mobile just like in an computer or a pc

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I like this feature as it allows me to see what the person ,another person replied to, said. It gives needed context and means I don't have to waste time scrolling up trying to find the original message. Although one thing to improve is that you need to click on message first in order to select and copy text which is a tad inconvenient. Other than that, this is a great much needed feature

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Colored thread would make them easier to identify. Right now the feature isn't very friendly to use, we have to click on a button to reply and/or get full context.
    If the thread messages' background color are all the same we don't have to open it to get full context, we can see it in the chat at a glance.
    And once the thread goes off-screen the color becomes available again for a new thread.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I would love to have the chance to give some reaction to an another user message. This could help even the streamer to select wich messages are worth to read and answer (if it is a question).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Hey! I was just chilling in one of my friends chats, he averages around 1k viewers and I'm a mod there. I was joking around and said Retweet ( @usersname ) Message that they said. I think it would be a brilliant feature if you could actually retweet a message from someone in the chat. But of course there would have to be a limit of how much you can retweet, similar to how spamming works. The mods would have control over if the retweet is approved based on if the viewer is spamming retweets. View it like someone is…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. What if you did some sort of optional break out room (like Zoom does) in Twitch chat. I feel like with larger streamers it is very difficult for users to interact and stay involved, and small breakout rooms could make people feel more interaction. Lots of questions still for how it would logistically work, like how many people in rooms, how to moderate video/chats. I have lots of ideas about this but I'm not giving them to you unless you give me 1 million dollars.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. i dont know whether this been mention or thought of before while the new replies work smooth and easy but there still be a chance the replyer would not see the replies in "afk" mode or miss it due to massive spam , what happen then , the reply would be deleted after it reach the chat line limit . could you guys make it so when reply is about to go over the limit be sent to the whisper inbox . of course there will should be few options for individuals person to optimization based off their needs

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make the mod Highlight mark replies as mentions. At the moment, they don't do anything.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Remove the "see the conversation" button when someone has replied to one of our messages on a chat and add the "reply" button all the time, because for everyone it is more useful and ergonomic to be able to reply to someone one who answers us to continue the discussion than having to retype his @pseudo and start a new conversation every 2 messages. At the UX level it would be more preferable and intuitive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow direct reply to a chat from muliple people , including a count for reactions - This is a major drawback for DJs streaming on Twitch vs Facebook live. The thread is more personal and hypes comments with counting of similar reactions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When you start typing a message in chat that is intended as a reply to a thread, but forget to click the thread reply button, your message is cleared once you do click the reply button.

This seems like bad UX, why not just keep the message value in place.

Steps to produce -

1. Type a message
    2. Click reply to a thread
    3. Watch the message disappear and need to be re-typed or copied and pasted.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?