Skip to content
Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Chat

How it works:
  • Choose a relevant category for your idea and check to see if any other users have already submitted this suggestion before creating your own
  • Be clear with your suggestion, provide examples and solutions to the problem you are posing. Suggestions without actionable feedback may be closed without comment
  • Upvote existing ideas, as opposed to creating multiple similar requests
  • Be sure to share your suggestion with others to gain more support!
  • Note: Suggestions are not guarantees that we will take action on an idea. We will try our best to communicate why an idea may not work, but may not always be able to share that information.
  • Titles that are unclear or unnecessarily vulgar may be reworded to better reflect the request for ease of discovery

If you need help:
This forum is for ideas only. If you need help, please check out our help portal for tons of articles that may answer your questions. If you still need help, you can reach out to our support team in the help portal as well!

Appeals or commentary on suspension decisions, support requests, suggestions disparaging others, and non-constructive feedback will be closed without comment.

Chat

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

49 results found

1. For give aways sometimes important.
    The messages which sometimes contain sensible personal data like addresses or phone numbers for tracking sending and tracking purposes should be deletable/erasable.
    It could get very ugly if a streamers or a mods account would get hacked and a bunch of personal data gets leaked or stolen.

436 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I frequent a twitch channel that has been harassed by a troll persistently for the past 2-3 months. This troll has been evading chat bans by creating multiple accounts.

Recently, when the troll is banned from the chat, he's begun to use the tactic of whispering to other people in the chat room in order to harass them...some of these viewers are even foolish enough to pass on insults from the troll to the broadcaster.

The channel regulars know better than to respond to this troll, and ignore him, but the fact that the troll can still whisper other viewers…

112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When actively chatting or just lurking with a stream in the background, I often miss when I receive a whisper. Please add the option for a notification sound when I receive a whisper

84 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I'd really love a proper DM system similar to other social sites, group chats, good comms, stable software etc. Personally love Instagram and twitter format, but ours really... sucks. I have ZERO incentive to use Twitch as a means of communication. I run a lot of giveaways for big streamers and have to DM people which usually results in a blacklist because im messaging too many people, hence why I never use whispers and just ask people to DM me on other platforms. I'd love to see reactions enabled, proper linking and formatting, no weird server disconnects, messages not sending/appearing,…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. So after years of chatting to others in whispers with no complaints Twitch is now trying to make me verify my account for some strange reason which I will not do as you have not proven yourself safe with personal data and I also do not wish to give you my phone number etc. This is a gross overstep for little gain as people who want to contact people in whispers to be awful or create fake accounts can just create new accounts with fake numbers or some such not to mention phone numbers that are not accepted by twitch…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Twitch has imposed a 4,000 character limit for DMs. It would be extremely helpful if there was a counter with the composition window that showed a user how many remaining characters may be typed in a message before that limit is reached.

I learned of this limit the hard way; one time I clicked 'Send' on a message, only to get a screen with a red box across the top of it informing me my message had exceeded the character limit and my message hadn't been sent. Unfortunately, the text of that message was lost too.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. A similar feature to chat blocked term or other form of blacklist words for chat whispers.

This thought came up because the "Want to be famous" bots have taken to whispers instead of chat. But this feature would be great to ease issues of harrassment being able to block potential slurs or other disparraging words.

In chat we have blocked terms as well as third party bots to filter out spam or unwanted words. But bots don't currently have the ability to filter whispers and twitch has no native method to block unwanted whispers outside of fully blocking all whispers.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. You can hide (delete?) one whisper if you click on the 'x' the right side of the whisper, but what if I want to delete all the whispers with one click. I can mark them all to read, but can't delete all. Please make it possible.

Reason: I have a bot which autohost many channels. Means every channel the bot user visits gets an whisper what says about 'welcome on my channel...'. So now, I have to delete hundreds of messages to be able to see never, real messages (because I turned off whisper possibility and allow for followers/follows only).

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I am a very active twitch user, and whisper a LOT of people daily, but after a certain amount of whispers, you MUTE me... and I can no longer whisper.
    There is no explanation, telling me that I sent too many, nothing... so I thought it was a bug, but it turns out you probably have a daily limit. You may want to reconsider that as your platform is quickly growing. Put it up to 200 or something. Or unlimited really, up to you but I hope that you change this feature.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Whispers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Obviously some measures would need to be put in place to prevent abuse, but this would be a nice feature to have.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Similar to the setting to Block whispers from strangers. Have a secondary option that re-allows whispers from your followers, or a higher level your subscribers only.

"Want to be famous" bots have been circumventing filters in chat by whispering creators. There are legitimate reasons to want to have whispers open to your community, but currently the only option is to block whispers from strangers. A creator can't go around and follow/friend everyone of their followers.

A reason for including sub only (in addition to followers) would be reducing chance of harassment as subs are less likely to.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Twitch staff here. A streamer mentioned they'd love if there would be an option to have whispers from their Mods to appear in their chat and be highlighted. The streamer mentioned they use pop-out chat and primarily uses the chat of engagement, and this would help them keep the flow of their stream without having to pause and click through the Whispers window to see specific messages.

In addition, maybe add an option for everyone to toggle having whispers mirrored to a chat if they are watching a stream with the @USERNAME and a notice it is a whisper. Just…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I can keep only 2-3 whisper tiny windows open at the same time, and if someone else whispers me, it overlays the other windows and I can't do anything. Please let us popout these small windows to another tab and session.

like this: http://i.imgur.com/DyhUNnU.png

And it would look the same as we popout the channel chat.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I was recently chatting with some other streamers and we agreed that this would be great.

When streaming, the streamer will often have the Chat popped out in their browser. But there's no way to know if a new Whisper came in. There's no way, through Twitch, to find out if someone is trying to reach you privately. And in a busy Chat, even if they try to reach you publicly, you can miss it.

It would be great if the little Whispers icon were at the top or bottom of the popped out chat, and if it could have…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. If I'm whispering to someone in one chat, I don't need a whisper box opened on every other open Twitch tab. If for some reason this is necessary behavior, It would be nice if all the whisper boxes would close if 1 is closed.

The way it works now, I have a useless whisper box still open, that needs to be closed manually, on every other tab.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Would love to see a mod-only chat implemented using Whispers 2.0, or even just a group-chat in general. Love Whispers 2.0 so far, and I think it would do away with the current group chat that I don't think people know much about or use often.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Because it gets on the bottom right of the video.

P.S: Not when it's opened but when it's closed.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The idea would be whisper messages delete like snapchat.

Currently users can be baited into whispers from people in their chat who "want to help" if there's some sort of issue.

They then have your username in their whispers regardless of blocking.

So if you experience trolling, harassment or stream sniping this is still very doable regardless of blocking. Any username change appears as if they are unblocked.

After sending a messaged to support I received the typical response and directed to managing harassment.

Again i point to the above...Even if you block someone and change your name it's still…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I do not own a cellphone. I have been on Twitch over 12 years and this new safety feature effectively made it so that I cannot post a whisper to anyone. I think users should be able to have an option to click that enables recieving all whispers from the user they select.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?