I suggest you ...

Make gift sub notice that says the number of total subs gifted optional

This new gift subscription notification text that specifically says the number of gifted subs the person has given in a channel was probably put in place to reward those gifters, but it's having the opposite effect from my anecdotal experience. There are several users who gift a LOT of subs across the community I'm in. I'm talking hundreds a month. Each of them has said they give less gift subs because of this new notification, which calls out how many they've done, makes them feel awkward, etc. I could definitely see some people who would like that feature, because maybe they like showing off, but most people giving gifts are rather humble. I don't know if anyone else has seen that in their channels and communities, as well. I'm hoping that Twitch can make that feature optional at a minimum.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mcaaronice shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MyOhMyke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that if you develop features or a product towards the least common denominator, that nothing will ever get done. But I can't think of anything positive that the Twitch community or a streamer's community at large can do with the information. If a streamer wants to set up something special for someone who gifts subs regularly, streamers should have private access to the information. What can the rest of the chatroom do besides see who has big gifting numbers to beg and harass them for subs or pick potentially rich targets to steal accounts from?

If viewers want to thank someone who is supporting their favorite streamer, they can do so. By saying thank you. When the on-screen alert fires and the in-chat alert fires, with or without the number being displayed. It's more than enough to allow for the proper response. There's no provided sub gifting leaderboard (which also should be optional), there's no Twitch account incentive for gifting a certain number of subs, and unless there's something in the works there's no special badge or other incentive a streamer can give someone who gifts a certain number of subs -- and even if there was, badges track very general milestones, not specifics. 3/6/9/12 month badges, not the "three month, 32 day, 16 hours, five minutes, and 42.2 second badge".

Personally, as a small fry streamer, I wouldn't ever want any of my viewers to know if I had a big-time sub gifter, because if I choose to show off my sub point count, I don't want people to think it's being artificially inflated by one viewer (even if it is). That's a bad way for me to sell my channel and get more subs.

• Faeyas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that listing the number of gifted subs you have given the channel you are in creates an uncomfortable pressure and focus on the person gifting. We do not gift for recognition. Nor do we want the attention of a "Super gifter". It puts a target on your back for beggers and creates a less positive environment that discourages gifting in the end.

Additionally, having to immediately change the badge so it doesn't show is also awkward.

Feedback and Knowledge Base